Stay You

A Team Excalibur Omake Post

I love the way you speak, and I love the way you swear...

Even over the song coming from his walkman, he could hear the sound of her coming down the stairs, cursing violently at her brother, her onix, her luck, the rain, life in general. Hardly feminine, hardly alluring or attractive or in any way what one looked for in a woman...

... I love the way you walk in with your head held in the air...

The door was violently thrown open, and the irritated female trainer stomped her way into the room, shoulders hunched and fists clenched in impotent fury. He shifted from his reclining position on the bed and opened his mouth to inquire about her mood, but she shot him a paint-stripping look that expressly forbade a single word. He shrugged as she raged her way into the small kitchenette and laid a savage kick into the garbage bin.

... I love the way your words move, and I love the way you drive...

Fortunately, it appeared that her temper wasn't quite at critical mass. It didn't take long for the racket in the adjacent room to die down, and soon, nothing was audible over the music.

Perhaps too soon. He rose, and moved toward the kitchenette.

... I love the way you're scared of people...scared to be alive...

She raised her head at the hand on her shoulder, and he saw the dark streaks of tears on her face. For a moment, he was afraid she might demand he leave, but to his relief she didn't say a word. Instead, she surprised him - he suddenly found her arms wrapped around his waist, her face buried in his shirt as sobs wracked her body. A little awkwardly, he put his arms around her, expecting at any moment to be slapped or kicked or yelled at. But she just wanted to be held, so he just held her...

"Jon..." The sound of her voice wrenched him from the dream with all the abrupt rudeness he expected from her. "Hey, Jon..."

"...Uh?" He asked, stifling a yawn as he sat up. "Whassup?"

"You fell asleep with your walkman on, genius."

It was true. A song was playing into his ears, the same one that he had heard in his dream.

"What?" She asked after a few moments. "You're staring..."

"Huh?" He blinked. "Oh... nothing... just... a good song..."

... Stay you... that's the toughest thing to do...