The Team Excalibur

Pokémon Post Archive I

Editor's note:

Hiyas! I'm Fox Lee, player of the same and leader-by-default of Team Excalibur. I feel I should mention before we begin that these posts aren't exactly in their original form. There were several problems compiling them - such as contrasting styles and tense, so the posts have all been edited together by yours truly. As such, there could still be some grammatical errors and other discrepancies that I suppose are my fault.

Anyway, before we begin, here are the authors responsible: Rena Calieth (Rena), Andy Gengler (Andy, Julie, Armin & Jimmy), Daeg Os Thorn (Daeg, Ni & Zarik), Rex Lee (Kyosan & Adam), Fox Lee (no relation to Rex)(Fox, Vance, & Quinn), Jon Ball (Jon, Thane & Falcon), Brittany Lopez (Lyith, Emily & Adam), Rebecca Cherish (Tessa, Yusuo & Leiko). All those characters are © their respective players. Rena was unfortunately forced to leave us after her first post. James and Sephiroth walked out, so I cut out the posts of theirs that didn't affect any other characters.


"Are you sure?" Rena whined, staring up at the man as a little child would when asking for candy. The store clerk nodded sadly and waved his hand, asking her to move on and make way for other customers. She sighed and slipped away, carefully placing her sample potions and antidotes back into her bag. She took one look back, and the clerk smiled that smile at her. The smile men always gave her.

She shoved her way out of the door, and looked around. Spotting a park bench not too far away, she walked over and sunk down onto it. She shook her head and muttered angrily, this having been her fourth turndown today.

Rena patted her belt, willing her friends to come out and join her in self-pity. Vulpix whined his cute little whine and settled down on her lap. She smiled slightly and began petting it. Bulbasaur, on the other hand, started marching towards the pharmacy, intent on knocking some sense into the clerk. She laughed at this and called him back, patting the bulb on its back.

"It's alright, Bulbasaur. We'll find someone who wants our potions."

"Bulba." It replied, in its raspy, angered voice. Vulpix yawned and blinked at it, sniffing lightly. The plant pokémon looked at it angrily, then let out a long sigh and settled down at Rena's feet. She shook her head slowly and settled back in the bench, looking to take in the atmosphere and soak up some sun, before she must head off in search of the next town and pharmacy.

But, with her luck, that wasn't to be. A small child ran up to her, and began tugging on her arm. She blinked down at him, and tilted her head to the side. "Hmm?"

The boy smiled charmingly, if one so young could, and resumed tugging on her arm while he spoke. "Hiya. C'n you come help my family at the ranch? My daddy told me you're an... an altemlist?" He struggled with the word.

She laughed and patted his head, and stood. Vulpix fell out of her lap and growled quietly, but soon became interested, as did Bulbasaur. "It's called 'alchemist', little boy. What Ranch?"

He giggled and nodded, taking her hand. "It's not to far. I'm supposed to bring you there."

"I suppose... " She started, and quickly had her pets return to their balls, and let herself be dragged down the road, towards a large plantation.

The boy nodded again as they rounded a long, tall fence, and came upon a gate. The latch, about four feet up, was too high for him, but he climbed to his tiptoes, and jumped for the latch. Rena asked politely if she should do it, but he insisted he could. And he did, after half a dozen tries.

Once inside, the boy quickly shut the gate, and made sure the latch fell into place. Rena blinked and looked round. In a far corner of the fenced in ranch was a flock of dodrio and doduo, while in the other a family of rapidash and ponyta grazed along the fence. She stared in awe at all the different animals, and was surprised when a growlithe bounded towards the two, only to tackle the boy to the ground and welcome him home with a few wet licks to the face.

The boy laughed and pushed him away, standing and looking towards the house in the middle of the area. On the porch stood a woman, probably his mother. Rena didn't realize the concern on her face while she wrung her hands around a dishtowel, until the boy turned to her, and spoke gravely. His eyes were wet, and he stared up at her, leaving her with a sinking stomach and the weight of the world on her shoulders when he spoke.

"Growlithe's mommy is sick. Help her, please?"

She bit her lip and swallowed harshly, then crouched down and patted the boy on the shoulder. "I'll do all I can, little one. I promise."


He remembered the day he found Falcon...

He had gotten up that morning and saw on the news, something about a lab explosion on an island off of Fuchsia City. As usual he went out wandering, and while on the beach he saw an unconscious pokémon. He ran over to it and picked it up, he found it was a young Mewtwo, he also found it was seriously injured. He ran it to the Pokémon Center and had Nurse Joi Heal it. When it awoke it sent a psychic message to him saying that it owed its life to him...

Jon yawned as he walked through the woods. Ever since he had caught Clancy, the rest of the trip had been uneventful.

"Y'know, I don't think I'll ever be able to settle down," he said to Falcon. "You know how I hate staying in one place for too long."

Falcon nodded. Jon jumped (he literally had to) and playfully gave Falcon a noogie. The big mewtwo grabbed Jon and did the same, ruffling his hair a lot.

"Looks like some of me has rubbed off on you eh, Falcon," Jon said laughingly. Falcon nodded and laughed inside.

"Wonder where we are...." Jon thought for a minute, then added, "Y'know, I also wonder what ever happened to that bastard Thane. Hated him since I met 'im."

Falcon sent a psychic message to Jon. I don't know Jon, but I too do not like him, or his Gengar.

Jon nodded, then realized it was getting late. He turned to Falcon. "We need to find a place to sleep for the night."


Daeg prepared his pokémon. He had just been to Celadon department store, and bought some very expensive aids for his pokémon. His dratini was on a special high protein and high calcium diet he just got. The pokémon loved it and Daeg saw him growing more powerful... so powerful that it would be ready soon. Daeg wondered if he should let it evolve; he had stopped him last time he tried to. But the longer it took to evolve, the stronger Dratini would be.

Daeg looked at his wallet. He was almost out of pokédollars. The trainer knew he needed some way to get better foods and potions for his pokémon. As he headed for the path to the sea, he reached into his wallet and pulled out a small card. Scribbled on the back was a name: Rena. Daeg had herd that this person was headed to Cinnabar Island, and that they were a alchemist and could make better potions and maybe even some better proteins or PP ups to make his dratini a more powerful pokémon. When he reached the sea, Daeg called his magikarp out of its pokéball and got ready to surf his way to Cinnabar Island. As he did so, he saw a fin sticking out of a hole. Daeg walked over and looked down into the small crater to see a wounded horsea. As he picked up the injured pokémon he grabbed a spare pokéball.

"Quick Horsea, get in and I'll see what I can do." Daeg caught the horsea and ran back to the nearest Pokémon Center. Cinnabar would have to wait while he helped a poor pokémon...


"Sorry but that's the Price."

"That's outrageous!" Snapped Julie.

Since Andy was going to need some potions and antidotes on his journey, he and Julie had stopped off at a PokéMart on their way.

"Hey, it's called 'supply and demand'," replied the clerk. "Now if you don't want to buy anything, get out!"

Julie reached for her pokéball, but Andy stopped her, muttering, "it's not worth it."

Julie nodded, and the two went to leave when another clerk stopped them.

"Hey, an alchemist came by here selling some potions. Maybe she can help you. I think her name was Rena."

"Which way did she go?" asked Andy.

"That way... she went with some kid," answered the clerk.

"Thanks," replied Andy as he headed off toward the ranch.


After getting horsea to the Pokémon Center, Daeg managed to find out where Rena was staying. He headed off toward the ranch where she was supposed to be. He reached the ranch and was confronted at the gate by a youth walking out.

"Hey! What are you doin' here?!" The youth demanded.

"I hear you have an apothecary here" Daeg replied.

"I'm not sure if I should let you in," the youth said as he reached for his Pokéballs.

Just then, a little boy ran up. "What's going on?"

"Go away runt!" The youth replied, and turned toward Daeg. The boy started running toward the ranch and yelling that his big brother was causing trouble again.

Daeg looked at the youth and readied his dratini.

"I challenge you to a pokémon battle!" The youth said, sending out a magmar.

Daeg sent out his dratini...


Daeg woke up to look at the bright ceiling lights.

"Ohh... what happened?" he asked.

"You lost," replied a strange, kindly looking old woman. "My son brought you here and told me how you valiantly defended him and tried to help out... "

Daeg sat up and looked around. "My dratini?"

"Your dratini is okay... the most remarkable pokémon I ever saw, though. There's something about it... well, never mind. What's important is that you're well."

"I had the strangest dream... there was this alakazam and it was calling to me... I think it wanted me to come to it... " without warning, Daeg suddenly lapsed back into sleep. He started to drift into dreaming...

A gengar was standing near him. It had used a special dream-eater attack to take him to the world of dreams, though Daeg didn't know it yet. As he wondered what happened, the gengar looked at Daeg and said, you are called by the Great Lord.

Daeg looked at it, shocked. "You spoke!"

The gengar chuckled. I can only talk here in the realm of dreams.

The gengar turned and started walking off. Daeg followed it, calling for it to wait, but the gengar continued to run off. Daeg saw it turn around a corner, and as he followed, he came upon a set of great golden doors. As he approached, the doors slowly swung open, and there on a massive throne was a pokémon Daeg had never seen before. It was sort of like the super-rare mew, and kind of like the powerful mewtwo...

"I am Mewthree, the greatest of the PokéGods!" The strange pokémon bellowed. "I am born of both mew and mewtwo, having the strengths of both! I can defeat any pokémon... and I have a quest for you!"

"A quest?" Daeg asked. "What kind of quest?"

"I have been watching you, and you hold one of the newest PokéGods... your dratini."

Daeg was shocked. "That can't be! It's just a dratini!"

The mewthree laughed. "No. It is much more. You must seek out two other PokéGods to bring forth the pokémon's potential, and you must collect all of the element stones as well. The PokéGods you must find are nidogod and pikablu... go now and keep your dratini well. Now awake!"

Daeg sprung from his bed, breathing heavily, eyes wide. He turned to the old woman. "How long was I out? Where's my dratini?... "

The old woman rolled her eyes. "You were only out a few moments. Your dratini is right here - and I finally figured out what's odd about it."

"What?" Daeg asked. "You must tell me!"

"The color is different. It's shiny and slightly golden."

Daeg went to where his dratini waited... and knew it was more than just a dream.

"Oh great. Of all the dratini in the world, mine turns out to have a bigger destiny than I do... oh well."

Daeg headed for the door when he heard the woman muttering about the others not being this much of a hassle. Daeg turned back. "Others?"

"Oh yes," the old woman replied. "This ranch has been full of activity. Several trainers have already stopped by. If you hurry, you might meet them." By the time she finished, she was speaking to air. Daeg had already left at a full run.

Once he was outside, he turned to his dratini. "Well now Dratini, I suppose you should get in the pokéball."

As Daeg called the dratini into his pokéball, the ball began to shake. Surprised, Daeg dropped the ball and it exploded, unable to contain the dratini.

"Well... " Daeg said in wonderment. "No more pokéballs for you, Dratini."


Andy and Julie arrived at the ranch a few minutes later, and a small boy greeted them over the noise of a trainer battle apparently taking place out front. As they were about to enter, something stopped Andy dead in his tracks - an ominously familiar voice...

"I knew if I looked hard enough I'd find you!"

Andy whirled around. "Armin!"

"You'd better believe it you little brat!" Andy's stepfather sneered. "Now hand over that squirtle! You're comin' home with me!"

"Squirtle! Squirtle squirt!" Squirtle cried, which Andy could guess translated roughly to 'not in this lifetime!'.

"Armin! I challenge you to a poké battle!" Said Andy.

"Fine!" Armin replied.

"I choose you Squirtle!"

"Crush 'em Geodude!"

Wasting no time, Squirtle blasted Geodude with his water gun. Geodude used rock throw, but Squirtle dodged the attack. Squirtle blasted Geodude again, quickly dropping him to the ground.

"Yes!" Cried Andy happily. "We won! We did it!"

"Not yet you haven't!" Armin snarled. "Go Venusaur!"

Venusaur hopped out of his Pokéball.

"Oh no! Venusaur!" Cried Andy.

"Get 'em Venusaur!" Sneered Armin.

The plant on Venusaur's back began to glow. Suddenly, he spun around and hit Armin with his solar beam. Andy's rival went flying, dropping Venusaur's pokéball as he did so. Venusaur picked it up and walked it over to Andy.

"Venusaur... does this mean you want me to be your trainer?" Asks Andy.

"Venusaur!" Venusaur replied. I don't see why not - you took care of me at home!

Andy pulled out and consulted his pokédex. "If a trainer neglects their pokémon and another person cares for it, that person can become the pokémon's trainer if it is the pokémon's wish."

"Well... " Andy smiled. "We're glad to have you along, Venusaur."

"Hey, who's that?" Julie cut in, pointing to a boy running toward the gate with a golden-glowing dratini following him.


Jon yawned out loud. "Damn, I'm bored. No trainers, no other pokémon, no nothing... I need something to do."

Falcon nodded in agreement. Then Jon heard that laugh... he recognized it well, swiftly turned around, and there he was - Thane. Jon's longtime rival was laughing, almost maniacally.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't my old friend Jon. Heh heh... what have you been up to?"

Jon smirked. "Not much, y'know, same old same old... you?"

"You know, catching pokémon, and planning to get... You! I challenge you to a pokémon battle - two pokémon for each of us."

Jon grinned. "I accept... Falcon, I choose you!"

Falcon jumped in front of Jon, ready for the upcoming battle.

"I knew you had a mewtwo, so I got one of my favorite pokémon just for battling him... Shadow, I choose you!" Thane threw a pokéball, and in a flash a gengar appeared. "Shadow, nightshade attack!"

Shadow did his Nightshade attack and knocked Falcon back.

"Falcon, psychic attack now!"

Falcon retaliated, using his psychic abilities to hurt Shadow.

Thane laughed. "Is that all you've got?"

"Falcon return... Clancy, I choose you!" Falcon jumped out of the way and Clancy, Jon's persian, appeared.

"What luck!" Thane said. "Shadow return, Cerberus I choose you!"

Shadow also jumped back and Cerberus, Thane's arcanine, appeared. Thane smirked and said, "Looks like a classic fight between a cat and a dog. Ironic... Cerberus, tackle the persian!"

Cerberus jumped at Clancy, but Clancy dodged out of the way.

"Clancy, use fury swipes on it!" Clancy jumped at Cerberus and hit him five times.

Thane growled, "Cerberus, flamethrower attack!"

Cerberus blew flames at Clancy, burning him severely and knocking him out.

"Clancy return, Falcon go!" Jon put Clancy in his pokéball and Falcon jumped in, ready to fight again.

"Cerberus return, Shadow go!" Cerberus got back into his pokéball and Shadow jumped back into the fight.

"Falcon, swift attack... " Falcon used a swift attack on Shadow, knocking the gengar back into a tree.

"Shadow, Psybeam attack!" Shadow used his psybeam attack on Falcon. The mewtwo tried to dodge but could not. The blast from the psybeam knocked Falcon out cold.

Thane laughed out loud and said, "looks like I won! And that was just a sample of my power... next time I see you, I hope you are more of a challenge than that! Shadow return!"

Shadow got back into his pokéball. Then Thane ordered, "Aerodactyl, use your fly to get me to Cinnabar island!"

An Aerodactyl appeared from one of Thane's pokéballs and picked the trainer up, then they flew away. Jon went over to Falcon, using his last two revives on his the mewtwo and Shadow. Both of them would still be weak, but it would have to do until he could find another Pokémon Center.

"Man, Thane is good... " Jon thought to himself. "Well, that's my first loss... what a way to start my career on being a Pokémon Master."

Then, he and Falcon continued on the road, trying to find a Pokémon Center.


Two young trainers, both teenage boys, were on their way to Cinnabar Island together. As they came to the coast of the mainland, they caught sight of two small islands in the far-off distance.

"I wonder what's out there?" muttered one, whose name was Sephiroth.

"Let's find out!" replied his companion.

"But how could we get over there, James?" questioned the first.

"Did you forget that you have a Pikablu?" Replied James. "We could build a raft and get him to pull us over there."

"Good idea," grinned Sephiroth. They began to build a sturdy raft and by noon, it was finished. James got on the raft as Sephiroth pushed it out and hopped on.

"Pikablu, I choose you! Pull us to that island over there!"

Pikablu jumped into the water, tied himself to the raft and began to swim.


"Toaster, what say you help me out here?"

Obligingly, the charmander let forth a burst of flame, effectively roasting the stick of marshmallows that Fox held out. After only a couple of days on the road, the pokémon had earned with his elemental abilities both a job and a name.

When the marshmallows were done, Fox offered them around. Shinji the rattata pounced eagerly on one of his favorite foods, and Toaster was quite happy to reap the benefits of his work. Only Fox's newest pokémon wasn't interested.

"Angel, you've got to eat something," Fox tried to coax him into accepting the food. "Please?"

Fox knew that the pokémon's depression was not without good reason. After all, who could blame Angel for being angry? She definitely was. Sure, she'd had disagreements with Vance in the past, but now he'd finally pushed her past dislike and into hate...

"Angel, I'm sorry about what happened," Fox said. "And I'm sorry that I couldn't get there sooner. But I care about you, and I can't stand seeing you like this! There must be something I can do!"

"Gee, that's touching. It's almost sad to do this."

Fox spun instantly in the direction of the voice, although it was perfectly familiar and she didn't really need to. Vance was leaning casually against a tree a few feet from their campsite, a smug grin on his face. Immediately, the three pokémon were on their feet, Angel with hackles bristling in hatred.

"I guess I've got to give you a bit of credit," Vance continued. "I never thought you'd actually have the guts to run away, but here we all are."

"Get away from us," Fox ordered, holding up a hand to keep her pokémon, especially Shinji, from attacking. "We don't want anything more to do with you."

"But we've got unfinished business, sis," Vance's casualty turned to anger. "Don't you remember what I said about Vulpix - Ninetales - last time?"

"Angel's mine now," Fox replied. "He's not going back to you."

"Then you leave me no choice." Vance took a pokéball from his belt. "Go, Nidorino!"

"I call Shinji!" Fox grinned, knowing that this was the battle she'd been hoping for. Happily, the rattata sprang forward.

"Nidorino, poison sting!" Vance ordered, and his pokémon instantly complied. Shinji dodged the charge, ducking out of his opponent's path, then springing into an attack of his own.

"Tackle attack!" Fox called, and the rattata flung himself at the nidorino. It was a second too slow to dodge, and although the effect wasn't huge, it was something. Fox exulted. Last time she and Shinji had challenged him, Vance had used his graveller, so he didn't know how strong Shinji had become.

"Nidorino, horn attack!" Vance was becoming angrier. This time, the nidorino hit, and Shinji squealed in pain.

"Hang in there, Shinji!" Fox cried. "Hit it with hyper fang!"

Obediently, Shinji sped inside his enemy's circle of defense and bit viciously several times before springing away again. Vance's nidorino howled angrily, and Fox felt elation rising inside; Shinji was going to win!

"Aargh! Return!" Vance cried furiously, and the pokémon did. "Fine! So the fuzzball's grown a bit! But it'll never take down Arcanine!"

The smile disappeared from Fox's face. Vance's arcanine was the pokémon that had almost killed Shinji on the day she'd found him. She couldn't predict how her rattata would react to his old enemy. Better that she call him back now, after this one victory.

"Shinji, enough!" Fox ordered, and the rattata reluctantly returned to her side. "Toaster, you're up!"

"Arcanine, flamethrower... " Vance ordered calmly. "... And aim it at her!"

"What?!" Fox cried, a second before the pokémon let fly. But, before the blast could hit her, a blur of white fur was in front of her, shielding her. Angel snarled as the fiery flow crashed over him, singeing fur but fortunately not doing too much damage to the ninetales, a fire pokémon himself. Meanwhile, Shinji had raced forward again, charging her brother's pokémon, catching it by surprise and knocking it off-balance. Infuriated, the arcanine swatted Shinji aside, throwing him across the ground. In a second, Shinji was on his feet again, and standing his ground.

"Get the fuzzball, Arcanine!" Vance ordered.

"Shinji!" Fox cried, biting her lip, as the arcanine pounced.

Vance took advantage of Fox's distraction to throw out a second ball. "Go, Graveller! Tackle her, now!"

"Uhn!" The cry escaped Fox's throat as the pokémon slammed into her, driving her back against a tree, sending pain arcing through her body.

"Vance! Wh-what are you doing?!"

"Good!" He yelled, ignoring her, and bringing out another pokémon. "Now Onix! Use wrap!"

Before she could move, Fox found herself enveloped by the massive tail of her brother's onix, slowly squeezing tighter and tighter. She could see her pokémon trying valiantly to come to her aid. But the fire attacks of Toaster and Angel were ineffectual against the onix, and Shinji was busy settling the score between himself and Vance's arcanine.

"Ugh... Vance... st-stop it... " Breathing was getting hard. She was dizzy with pain.

"Give up, Fox!" Vance ordered. "Run away from me if you want to, but Ninetales stays with me!"

"N-never!" She retorted, and the onix squeezed tighter. "Aargh!"

"This is your last chance!" Her brother cried. "You can't win! You'll never win!"

"N-no... " she repeated, feeling the black of unconsciousness approaching.

Her mind and vision clouded, Fox only half believed what happened next. A tall, odd-shaped creature, obscured by the night, appeared between Vance and his sister. There were a few seconds of surprise, then Vance's onix suddenly roared in pain and collapsed, coils loosening and releasing Fox. As the young trainer fell to the ground, her head hit hard against the onix's stone body, and she lay motionless.

"Who the - " Vance was cut off as a dark human figure appeared next to the first creature.

"Go," it ordered, in a male voice.

"Who do you think you are?!" Vance demanded. "This is private! Do you even know who I am?!"

"Go away," the figure repeated, calmly. "Leave us."

Suddenly, an acute pain filled Vance's head, and he doubled over, clasping it in both hands.

"Will you go?" The figure asked.

"No!" Vance retorted, then cried out as the pain intensified.

"Will you go?" The figure repeated.

"All right!" Vance snapped through clenched teeth. The pain instantly disappeared, and Fox's brother fell forward.

"Recall your pokémon and go," the figure ordered.

"Return!" Seething with rage, Vance recalled the pokémon. "I'm going," he snarled. "But this is far from over, Fox!"

With that, he retreated (and quite quickly) into the night.

"Nice work, Falcon," the figure said to the creature he'd come with. "Say what you will, you have to admit that we make a good team."

The creature nodded silently in reply. The other shrugged, and turned toward Fox's unconscious form, the firelight revealing him to be a teenage male, not much older than Fox herself. As he knelt down beside her, a slightly battered purple streak shot between them, fangs bared and red eyes narrowed protectively.

"Hey!" The boy threw up his arms defensively as Shinji snapped viciously at him.

"Rat-atta, rattata!" The pokémon snarled.

"Char!" Added Toaster, running to Shinji's side and breathing a small warning flame.

He tried to walk closer to the girl when Toaster blew a flame right at him. Luckily, he had actually had to fight pokémon by himself before, so he was used to dodging attacks, and easily dived out of the way.

"Okay, okay... hold on, you guys. I just wanna help her," he said to the pokémon. "I helped you get rid of that other guy, right?"

His eyes moved to Fox's still form. "Damn, she's cute." A moment later, he realized he'd said it out loud when he'd only meant to think it. He added, "good thing she's unconscious."

He scratched his head, and said, "hmmm...looks like we're at a stalemate. I wanna help, but you won't let me. Listen, that bump on her head may be serious. We may want to get her to a doctor, and I don't think you can carry her there yourself, can ya?"

Fox's pokémon seemed to think for a bit. Then, they backed down.

"Good," the teen said. "Now I can help her. By the way, my name's Jon - nice to meet you."

Hope that other guy doesn't come back any time soon, he thought, walking over to the girl and picking her up. "Now... where is the nearest Pokémon Center?"

The rattata pulled on his leg and pointed toward the east.

Jon yelled, "C'mon Falcon, let's go... "

Jon ran as fast as he could, but he was only human, and soon he was getting tired. He decided to sit down for a quick rest, hoping his cargo would be all right.

"Wonder who she is?" He murmured. "... And who was that guy who was after her?... what was up with him?"

While he was resting, he reached behind his back and pulled out his dagger. After regarding its blade for a moment, he concluded that it needed sharpening. When it was once again to his satisfaction, he put it back, picked up the teenaged girl, and started running again.

Unfortunately, on the side of the road ahead was none other that his rival Thane. Jon stopped, and carefully leaned the girl on a tree beside the road.

"Huh... who's that... ?" Thane was momentarily distracted from the insults that usually preceded their battles. "... Well, it does not matter. I challenge you to a pokémon battle."

"I don't have time for this, Thane."

"Then you'll just have to make the time."

"All right," Jon said. "I'll do it. But only one pokémon each."

Thane nodded. "Alright. I agree to that. Go Shadow!"

"Falcon, get 'em!"

With that, the gengar Shadow and the mewtwo Falcon appeared.

"Alright Falcon," Jon said. "Use your most powerful attack, hyper beam!"

Falcon looked like he was charging up, then he pointed one hand toward the gengar, and a beam flew toward Shadow, knocking it hard and sending it flying against a tree. Almost immediately, Shadow was unconscious.

Thane growled angrily. "You won this round, but don't get too cocky... I'll be back!" He recalled the gengar and ran into the woods.

Jon ran back and picked up the girl. "Sorry if that took too long."

Jon and the pokémon resumed their race to the Pokémon Center...


As Daeg ran forward, he noticed a pair of pokémon trainers ahead of him. He slowed as he approached, and glanced at the trainers. "Sorry, I don't have time to battle now. Maybe some other time... I'm looking for the rare PokéGods. Feel free to join me if you want to... "

With that, Daeg started back down the road at a slower pace, calling behind him, "well, ya coming or not?!"

Andy shrugged and said, "well, we aren't going home any time soon... let's go!"

Andy and Julie ran after Daeg. As he ran, Daeg suddenly felt himself tripping over. Instinctively rolling to protect his dratini, he leapt to his feet to see a cruel looking boy with a pokéball in his hand.

"Look, I have no time to battle... " Daeg was exasperated.

The boy just threw his pokéball, shouting, "go Raticate!"

Daeg stopped and said, "go Dratini!"

Daeg's dratini studied the raticate.

"Raticate, bite attack now!"

As the raticate ran toward dratini, a spray of water burst up in front of it.

"That's the way dratini! Use your hydro pump again!"

The raticate was lifted into the air with the next blast.

"Raticate, return!" The boy shouted, running off into the woods. "By the way, name's Luthor... and I'll want a rematch... "


A sterile, white surface slid into focus, divided into even square sections. Bright lights pierced the darkness, hurting her eyes. Fox Lee sat up, and groaned as she recognized the room.

"I'm really starting to hate this ceiling," she muttered. Then, she pushed back the blankets covering her and slid out of the bed, noting with some distaste that her clothing had been exchanged for a long white nightshirt.

As she stood, a fierce pain assaulted her, stabbing in at the back of her head and neck. Colors spun in front of her eyes. She swayed uncertainly, weakly. Her vision clouded over as the pain rattled round to her temples, and she cried out sharply as she felt her legs give way beneath her. Expecting to feel the cold, smooth tiles of the Pokémon Center's floor, she was surprised to instead find herself caught by two warm arms.

"Uh?" She looked up questioningly, trying to see through the haze.

"Careful - you're still a bit unsteady." A male voice, vaguely familiar. "It's good to see you awake, though - you had us worried for a minute there."

"Got to... get away... " Fox murmured, feeling him loop an arm under hers to support her. "Vance... "

"Oh, don't worry about that guy. I took care of him."

"You don't understand... I have to... go... " she protested weakly as he guided her back to the bed.

"No, you have to stay," he replied firmly. "You're not going anywhere at the moment."

"Who... who do you think you are?... " She mumbled, unknowingly echoing Vance's words to him earlier.

"Jon," came the reply. "And you're Fox."

"How did you... ?"

"Nurse Joi. She told me you've been here before."

"Mmm," She confirmed, as he gently eased her down against the pillow. She remained still for a few moments, but for blinking her eyes rapidly to help clear her vision. As the ceiling came into focus along with her thoughts, she turned her head toward Jon. "What happened?"

"To cut a long story short? I whipped your buddy Vance's ass, big-time. For some reason, I've got this hang-up about assholes who pick on girls."

"Where's Shinji?"

"Who's Shinji?"

"My rattata."

"Ah," Jon raised an eyebrow. "A charming little fellow. So agreeable.

"And the others - are they okay?"

"Don't worry, your pokémon are all safe, and well-rested."

"Well-rested? How long have I been here?!" She sat up sharply, ignoring the pain.

"Take it easy! Not long. Only a few days."

"A few days is a few days too long," she replied, throwing back the covers with a new sense of determination. "I've got to get out of here!"

"Wait!" He cried. Paying him no heed, she jumped out of the bed. That was a mistake; immediately, the stabbing sensation returned. As she swayed, he caught her arm, and pulled her gently but firmly back onto the bed.

"Let me go!" she snapped angrily. She really had no right to be angry at him, but he was there, and Vance wasn't. He was as good a target as any.

"You can't go now!" He pointed out, holding her with ease.

"Says you!" With great effort, she pulled free, only to fall again before she was two steps away. Jon didn't catch her this time; he'd learned from experience that sometimes, a person needs to hit the ground. And Fox hit it hard. Grinding her teeth, she staggered to her hands and knees, a tiny trail of blood dripping from the corner of her mouth.

"Bastard," she gasped, winded. "Why... why didn't you catch me?"

"Because then you would've kept ignoring me."

That was true. She couldn't deny it.

"So do you see it yet? That you'll pass out before you even get outside this center?"

"Bastard," she muttered again, reluctantly realizing it was the truth. She slumped into a sitting position, wiping her hand across her mouth. "Why'd you have to bring me here?"

"Well, I could have left you - "

"Shut up!"

"Humph," he muttered, helping her up. "This is the thanks I get for saving you? I think I know where your rattata got his attitude problem."

Relax, Jon heard Falcon send from the chair in the corner. Remember, she doesn't really mean it. She just needs to be angry at someone. Then, he directed his mind speech at both Fox and Jon. Will you two please stop wasting time? You're both right; Fox should not be going anywhere on her own, but we do need to get out of this center right now.

"How come?" Fox raised an eyebrow.

Because the boy from the forest is coming.

Sure enough, footsteps were echoing toward them. Jon hung his head out into the corridor, then pulled it back in, slamming the door and bracing it with a nearby chair.

"It's him, alright," he reported. "And he's got Officer Junsa with him!"

"Uh-oh," Fox muttered.

Make your choice, Falcon ordered. Either you ally yourself with us now, or you face them.

"What's going on in there?!" Officer Junsa demanded, pounding on the door. "Open this door right now!"

"We know you're in there, Fox!" Vance added angrily. "And your little friend too!"

Hurry! Falcon urged.

"This is called blackmail," Fox glared at the innocent-looking mewtwo, then threw her arms up in exasperation. "But what choice have I got?"

"Great," Jon handed Fox her clothes and pokéballs, then picked her up. "Falcon, get us out of here! Teleport!"

Just as the chair fell away and the door swung violently inward, the two trainers and the mewtwo began glowing with a bright blue light. Vance's mouth fell open as their silhouettes began to flicker in and out of existence.

"No!" Fox's brother cried, lunging forward just as the three disappeared. There was a blinding flash, and when it cleared, the policewoman was alone in the room.


"D'you think you'll miss it?" Jon asked, watching the sunset-highlighted coast of Cinnabar Island grow smaller and smaller. The two trainers, after finding themselves teleported to Cinnabar's seaport just in time to take a day's rest before catching the next boat out, had done just that. Now, they stood side-by-side, leaning over the ship's railing as it pulled away.

"What," Fox replied, "you mean getting attacked by onix and graveller?"

"No. I mean the part where you were born there, and grew up there, and stuff."

"Oh," she murmured, toying absently with the charm at her neck. She slumped onto a bench, turning her eyes away from the island. Of course she'd miss it. It was home. "Maybe. But it doesn't matter how I feel; Angel is what's important now."

"But you matter, too - "

"Shut up," She ordered bluntly.

That did it. Jon couldn't restrain his anger any longer. "You just don't know the meaning of the word 'gratitude', do you?! I saved your life from that freak, and this is how you thank me?! I'm not asking you to be friends, but you could at least be civil!"

"Leave me alone!" She snapped, getting to her feet. "I don't need your help any more than I want it! Just get away from me!"

"Fine," he replied coldly, stalking away.

Fox turned back to the railing, folding her arms angrily. He could at least try to see that she needed this time to herself. She needed to process all that had happened, to face it, to put it behind her. Normally, Fox didn't let much get to her, but these past few days... well, they'd changed her. As much as she'd deny that she felt anything at all for her brother, a feeling was there. Somewhere in her stomach was the deep, sickening taste of betrayal, born of the knowledge that of her entire family, not one had come to bring her home. Only Vance had followed her, and he not for reconciliation, but revenge. Her rebelliousness had always set her apart from her parents, but this?...

Suddenly feeling a cold tingling sensation run up her spine, and turned her head to see the tall, odd-shaped form of Falcon the mewtwo, standing beside her. Scowling, she looked away again. "Oh, it's you. What do you want?"

I want to talk.

"Talk away. But I can't guarantee that I'll listen."

Very well. All I wanted to say is this; you care so deeply about your pokémon, Fox Lee, that I wonder if maybe it is too much. You devote yourself so wholly to them that you have lost all regard for your own self.

"Yeah?" She retorted. "And what business is that of yours?"

I am merely concerned, came the reply. Granted, you have been hurt, but if you keep shutting people out, there will be nothing left for you. Sometimes, the risks involved with sharing your soul are worth it.

"Worth the pain?" She snorted, with thick skepticism.

You have battled pokémon, yes?

"Of course I have."

Then we shall take your rattata - Shinji - as an example. When you found him, he was very weak. He must have been too afraid to go near another in battle.

"Of course he was. He might have died."

But eventually, he fought. Why was that, Fox?

"I don't know... he just wanted to."

Exactly. He decided that it was worth the risk of getting hurt again if it meant he might come out of the experience stronger than before. Often, when a pokémon needs to overcome a challenge, it decides to evolve. Sometimes, people have to do the same.

"Are you quite finished?" Fox inquired, extremely irritated.

Think about it, Fox Lee. There are people out there who care. One is right in front of you.

Stunned by his words, Fox turned to question him, but he was already gone. She sat for a moment, biting her lip, then sprang to her feet and slammed her balled fists into the guardrail. Why had she, of all people, had to grow up so damn fast?!


Silhouetted by moonlight, Jon stood at the very front of the ship, glaring angrily down at the rushing water. Everything, his tense grip on the railing, the howling of the night wind, the violence of the churning sea, seemed to be the echo of his unspoken anger. Damn that stupid girl. What'd she have against him?! All he wanted was to understand her, maybe even help her out. But whenever he talked to her, excluding that one day in the Pokémon Center when she'd been open, vulnerable, she kept shutting him out. What could have made her so cold? And why wouldn't she let him help her?!

"Damn you," he muttered angrily, his grip on the rail tightening. "Damn you, Fox Lee."

The wind and sea dropped suddenly, simultaneously, and there was a moment of near-silence.

"I'm sorry."

He spun toward her voice, at the same time cursing himself for his inability to ignore her.

"I'm sorry," she repeated and he thought he saw a tear in the corner of one eye. Immediately, he dismissed it as simply a trick of the moonlight. "I really am."

She turned and ran.

The waves continued their crashing on the sides of the boat. Jon was really confused now.

Ever since I met her, my life's been a little weirder than normal, he thought to himself. But I guess I'm stuck... not that it's really that bad... but dammit, now I'm confused! First she's yelling at me, then she says sorry and runs... whew. What a night.

He was walking to find his sleeping bag, so he could sleep under the stars like he usually did, when he suddenly heard that hated voice.

"I meet you in the strangest places, don't I, Jon?"

Jon spun around and saw Thane there behind him. "Please, Thane I'm not in the mood for a pokémon battle."

"Fine... I have another solution... he he he."

Jon was not expecting what happened next. He was turning away from Thane when he felt a sharp pain in his jaw.

"We can just use our fists... " Thane smiled menacingly.

"You really hate, me don't you?"

"With a vengeance."

"Figures... it's all I need."

Jon got into a fighting stance. This was really pissing him off. He just could not get a rest... one thing after another.

Thane threw a punch, hitting Jon right in the stomach and effectively knocking the wind out of him. Jon grabbed his stomach, trying to stay up. Thane kicked him in the face, knocking him back and onto the ground. Jon was getting really mad. He waited for his rival to try to hit him while he was on the ground, then he kicked Thane in the chest with both feet. Thane stumbled back, then regained his footing. Jon lunged at his enemy and uppercutted him right in the jaw, sending him back again. Thane glanced at Jon and saw how mad he was. He pulled out a pokéball and called out his aerodactyl.

"We'll finish this another time... " Thane used the aerodactyl to fly away, his cruel laughter echoing behind as he left.

Jon sighed. Now his stomach and face hurt as well as his head. Too tired to look for a bed or his sleeping bag, he just leaned up against a wall and fell asleep, thinking, "what a day... "


It was the thunder tearing through the now-stormy skies that first woke Fox, but it was the cold which kept her awake. Shivering, she pulled the blankets up over her head, but the chill ocean wind would not be denied, even by the four solid walls of the cabin around her. The young trainer glared up at the window, as if to banish the cold with no more than her will, then jumped back in surprise as she realized that a tall, shadowed figure was standing as a silhouette right outside. Naturally, her first instinct was fear, but then she recognized the shadow as a familiar mewtwo.

Can I come in? Falcon asked.

"What is it now?" She pulled the door open, quickly turning her shock to irritation.

He fell asleep before it started raining, the big mewtwo replied, and for the first time, Fox realized that he carried Jon's sleeping form in his arms. I think it better that he not freeze to death tonight.

"Why me?" Fox sighed to the ceiling. "Ah, well. Come on in."

Once inside the cabin, Falcon unloaded his somewhat soggy trainer into the bunk above Fox's and tossed a rug over him.

"I ain't much warmer in here, I'm afraid," Fox muttered, wrapping herself in blankets again.

You have not been out there for the past few hours, the mewtwo reminded her. Then, he changed the subject. Well, Fox Lee, it seems that somewhere inside, you do care.

"Just tell him you threatened to use that psychic-hurty-thingy on me if I didn't," she replied with a wry smile, again closing her eyes.

As she settled down again, Fox had to admit that the room was suddenly warmer.


Fox was the first of them to wake the next morning, to the clamor of voices outside the small cabin. Rubbing her eyes, she emerged onto the deck, yawning, and took stock of the crowd of murmuring passengers apparently absorbed in something the shorter trainer couldn't see.

"What's going on?" Fox asked of two passing sailors.

"You mean you haven't heard?" The first seemed incredulous.

"Haven't heard what?"

"Two boys were caught out in the storm last night," The second sailor replied.

"We found them a few minutes ago," the first continued. "Not much older than you, I'd say, but barely alive. They were just floating, clinging to some pieces of wood."

"You know, I hear they had a rare water pokémon with them," the second said, more to his companion than Fox. Something lit up in the first sailor's eyes, and the pair hurried away, discussing how unlikely it was that the two trainers would live, so the pokémon in question might need a new home.

Straining on tiptoes to see over the crowd (and cursing her height disadvantage), Fox could just barely catch sight of the two soaked, unconscious boys being hauled over the ship's railing.

Fox -

"Aack!" Fox exclaimed, jumping in surprise at the sound of Falcon's psychic message, then turned angrily to look up at the mewtwo. "Don't sneak up on me like that!" Then, Fox noticed Jon standing behind his pokémon, and abruptly about-faced again. She wasn't ready to deal with him yet.

What is happening, Fox? The mewtwo asked curiously.

"They pulled a couple of half-dead pokémon trainers on board," Fox replied casually. "You'd think they'd have more brains than to be on the sea last night."

Jon was trying to catch a glimpse of the trainers in question now, quite unashamedly hoping that, just maybe, one of them might have been Thane. Fox raised an eyebrow as she noticed the heavy purple swelling on his jawbone.

"Nice bruise," she commented.

"I ran into an old 'friend'," Jon glowered. "Usually our fights are restricted to pokémon, but hey, why not a good old-fashioned brawl now and then?"

"Nothing serious, though?" She asked, and for a moment, he thought there was genuine concern in her voice.

"What is this, personality number two?" Jon inquired darkly.

"I owe you," she replied curtly. "The sooner that debt's out of the way, the sooner I can get away from you and forget the whole messy ordeal."

Jon sighed. So that was what she wanted.

"But until then, we'll just have to get along," Fox finished. "So we're cool, okay?"

It could be worse, Falcon said smugly to his trainer. Jon nodded, to both Fox and Falcon, then turned his attention back to the two castaways. Unfortunately, though both were teenage boys, neither one was Thane. Both of them were pretty badly beat up, and he didn't like their chances of survival. As Jon took stock of them, he saw something fall out of the pocket of one, but before he could draw attention to it, the boys were hastily removed from the scene. Still crowding around the battered boys, most of the ship's passengers followed. In the aftermath, Jon walked across the deck and picked up the fallen object.

"What's that?" Fox turned her attention away from the crowd and back to Jon.

"A wallet, I think," Jon replied, and, flipping it open, found this to be right. "Belonging to somebody called 'James'."

"A local from Celadon City... registered pokémon trainer... " Fox read over Jon's shoulder, and the male trainer suddenly realized how close she was hovering, and flushed slightly. "I guess you should give it to the captain, so he can contact someone."

"Yeah," Jon agreed absently, slipping the wallet into his pocket. "Stay here. I'll be back."

I should come, too, Falcon pointed out. There is a chance that I may be able to speak with one of them even before they regain consciousness.

"Good idea. C'mon."

"Well fine, desert me then," Fox muttered under her breath as Falcon took off after his trainer, not having heard what the mewtwo had sent to Jon. "I'll just stand around and wait, shall I?"

"Well, that's no way to treat a lady, is it?"

Immediately, Fox spun to face the unfamiliar voice's owner, who stood behind her. A taller, dark-haired man - or was he only a boy? - wearing a black trenchcoat and dark glasses was leaning over the railing and facing out toward the open sea. The female trainer was at once unnerved, yet oddly compelled by the stranger. She took a step closer.

"I don't believe we've met."

"You may call me Thane," he replied, turning to her. The swift movement of his right hand put her on guard, but a moment later she was blinking in surprise as he held out to her a long-stemmed red rose, just on the brink of flowering fully. Dumbfounded, she accepted. Thane turned back to the railing.

"Uh... I... uh... " she stammered, blushing.

"Forgive me, Miss... ?"

"Lee," she managed. "Fox Lee."

"... Miss Lee. But I noticed you coming on board at Cinnabar, and I couldn't help but be taken."

"Oh... uh, that is... I... "

"Fox?" Jon's voice came. At the same time as she turned away from Thane, Jon (minus his mewtwo) turned a corner and came into view. "You still here?"

"Of course I am," she replied. "Where's tall, dark and psychically-gifted?"

"You mean Falcon? He's staying in the infirmary for a while. He got a little movement out of James, so he wants to keep trying. Hey, are you okay? You look a bit flushed."

"Oh... I... " she turned back to where the mysterious Thane had been standing. He was gone. Her mouth fell open.

"Fox?"

"I'm fine, thankyou," she replied. What was going on around here? She could have sworn that, a second ago, a dark, mysterious, decidedly charming man had been standing behind her. Had she just dreamed the whole thing?

"Say," Jon indicated her hand, now hanging slack at her side. "Where'd you get the rose?"


As they traveled through the woods together, Daeg told Andy and Julie what pokémon he had, and all about the strange vision he received from MewThree. They journeyed for a while, talking about nothing in particular, when suddenly a familiar voice called from the woods.

"I challenge you to a pokémon battle... I want Venusaur back, and that squirtle while I'm at it!"

Daeg stepped forward. "I'm in a fighting mood. If you want to steal my friend's pokémon, you'll have to battle me first, and then we can see how well you do... "

Armin looked at Daeg and laughed. "Well, I might as well... besides, my geodude just evolved. It might be fun to see how graveller deals with you... Graveller go!"

"Dratini, go!" Daeg shouted.

"Graveller, rock throw, now!"

The graveller sent a mass of rocks flying at Dratini. Suddenly, the golden aura around Dratini became full of rainbow colors.

"That's the way Dratini, show it what your hyper beam can do!"

The dratini's hyper beam cut through the rocks that Graveller had flung at it, and then struck the graveller, rolling it backwards through the woods.

"Come back Graveller!" Armin shouted, chasing after it.

"Thanks," Andy said.

"Don't worry about it," Daeg replied.

Then, suddenly a small flash of light appeared on the road ahead of them as an abra teleported in. Immediately, the abra sent a telepathic message to Daeg.

I have been sent by the great Mewthree to guide you to the PokéGods. The abra then telekinetically took a pokéball from Daeg's belt and leapt inside.

"Things just keep on getting weirder and weirder," said Daeg.

This way! Came the telepathic message from inside the pokéball. Daeg picked up the pokéball and the three headed off in the direction Abra told them to...


Daeg's abra directed the travelers to Fuchsia City, in order to enter The Safari Zone to find the mighty PokéGod nidogod. What was more, the abra had received a message from MewThree that the pikablu was near Cinnabar Island, and traveling.

As Daeg, Andy, and Julie journeyed on toward The Safari Zone, a large herd of tauros ran by, crossing their path.

"What's that?" Asked Andy.

"That is the annual round-up," Daeg explained. "Every year the nomads gather the pokémon and see which are fastest, then they race the fastest of each type in the great Pokémon Grand Prix."

The Safari Zone was a bustle of activity as kangaskhan hopped and rapidash ran as fast as they could, urged on by the nomads and hopeful trainers. Elsewhere there were water pokémon having a swimming contest and a fighting pokémon wrestling match.

"This looks new," Daeg commented.

An old man overheard, and came over. "Well, you see, they decided to have a special gathering of all the best pokémon in the world. In addition to our usual Pokémon Grand Prix, we also are having the P1 Fighting Pokémon Tournament here this year, and we even have the SS Anne docking here instead of in Saffron City. And, last but not least, we'll have some special guests... there'll be Professor Okido, and Masaki too... and best of all, the Pokémon League's Elite Four will be there in person!"

Everyone was in shock at this news.

"I always wanted to meet Lance... " Daeg's eyes had taken on a look of sheer joy. "It's my life's dream!"

With this news, the three trainers decided to stay and enjoy the contest, maybe even enter their own pokémon...


The sun shone brightly on the horizon as Kyosan rode down Cycling Road. The trainer had captured a new pokémon, a haunter from the PokéTower. It had been an extraordinary fight. The battle had been in the main room when a haunter started to antagonize Kyosan. He'd thrown his pokéball out to release Arcanine. Haunter, in its mist form, had tried to hypnotize Arcanine to sleep many times, but by sheer luck, the haunter had materialized the instant Arcanine blasted fire from its mouth, scoring a hit on haunter. Kyosan had quickly thrown his pokéball at the haunter. The pokéball had opened up, captured the haunter, and remained shut!

His bike flew over a ramp created by the pokémon gangs in the area, effortlessly landing safely. Kyosan smiled happily as seagulls flew above him. Land was in sight, and he started to peddle harder. He then thought back to when he got 'acquainted' with Haunter in the outskirts of Celadon City. The ghost pokémon had fizzled out of its pokéball, staring at Kyosan. Kyosan had smiled. Haunter, Arcanine, and Kyosan had shared a friendship from that moment on.

Another flashback occurred, of Kyosan 'hinting' to the Celadon authorities of the large increase of Team Rocket activity under Celadon's corrupted Game Corner. Kyosan passed through the booths at the end of the bike road, smiling at the worker.

Night soon fell, and Kyosan decided to lodge in a small inn in the middle of nowhere. Kyosan went to bed early that night - he intended to get up early for the next morning. He had to leave pretty early to make his way to the Safari Zone regions.

Earlier this year, Kyosan had learned that the SS Anne was actually going to arrive in the Safari Zone regions, carrying famous pokémon officials. Plus, all sorts of tournaments were going to be held, including Kyosan's main interest - the Pokémon Grand Prix.


Pokémon trainers from all the places in the world had come to the gathering near Fuchsia City. Professor Okido was present, along with many other important pokémon figures. Professor Okido was answering questions for little children who where just starting pokémon training. The professor was a kind man, always willing to help.

"Umm... Mr. Okido," a little girl spoke through a crowd of children. "Would a fighting-type pokémon have any chance against a psychic or ghost-type pokémon?"

Professor Okido chuckled. "Well, usually the psychic/ghost pokémon would almost always have the advantage against fighting pokémon, but if you're a talented pokémon trainer, you could beat any type of pokémon with a fighting type."

"Thank you, Mr., Okido!" The little girl curtsied.

Other popular characters, such as the world renowned Masaki, were watching a P1 fighting match. A hitmonchan bounced around in the ring, avoiding a machoke's attacks. Suddenly, the machoke reared up, then dashed and started swinging madly. The hitmonchan easily avoided the flailing fists.

"Monchan! Hitmon!" The hitmonchan cried, quickly jabbing the machoke in the back. The crowd cheered and hooted for the hitmonchan's excellent performance, including Masaki from the VIP section. The machoke blocked the sudden fury of hitmonchan's fists, all aiming towards the face.

"Ma... choke!" The machoke grabbed both of the fists of hitmonchan, and started swinging it like a whirlwind. Dust and dirt started to pick up in the arena, the hitmonchan becoming a tan blur. The machoke released the hitmonchan, sending the hitmonchan flying towards the VIP section.

"Monchaaaaaaaaann!!!!!" The hitmonchan shrieked, before colliding with Masaki, knocking him unconscious.

Else where in the gathering, Daeg, Andy and Julie wandered through the great masses of people. Daeg was pretty interested in meeting and talking with the great Lance, the Dragon Trainer. A person bumped into Daeg, apologizing immediately. He was noticeably short, a bit stout, and wore a black cap.

"So very sorry," the person exclaimed.

"No problem."

The guy ran off, pushing and shoving his way through.

"You'd think he'd learn from his mistakes," Julie muttered, watching the stout guy shove his way through.

"There's Lance!" Daeg suddenly cried. "Look - over there! See him!? Wow! This is so cool! I'm actually going to SEE Lance!"

"Calm down, Daeg!" Andy exclaimed. "Save your excitement for later."

"I'm going to see if Lance will actually autograph my pokéball with Dratini in it!" Daeg reached for his pokéball with Dratini. But the pokéball was missing! Daeg immediately glanced at his belt. Sure enough, Dratini was gone."No! Dratini's missing! Where is it!? Did it fall off!?" Daeg instantly went hysterical, searching all his pockets and the floor around him.

"That fat guy must have taken it!" exclaimed Julie. "He did brush into you, remember? And he left in such a hurry!"

"That bastard! Come back, you damn pokémon thief!" And Daeg was off, pissed off as ever.

The stout thief zigzagged his way through the crowd, trying desperately to avoid the enraged trainer and his friends who followed behind. Kyosan was admiring some drawings done by a pokémon artist when he heard the three trainers' angry cries. A fat man burst out of the crowd, heading straight for Kyosan. A guy in black hair, kinda tall, ran out of the crowd with a guy and a girl following close behind, both with blond-ish hair.

"I'm gonna kill you when I get you, you pokémon thief!" Daeg called out, running madly after the thief.

Without warning, a pokéball was thrown and an Arcanine burst forth. "Arcanine," Arcanine barked.

"Arcanine! Fetch that fat guy in the black cap! Go! Now," Kyosan yelled over the turmoil. Arcanine dashed at the thief, accidentally knocking over the thief and passing him. Arcanine growled, fangs bared at the thief in a menacing snarl. The thief went bug-eyed.

"Ya know," Kyosan called out, "my arcanine has a huge appetite. And he hasn't eaten in a while... "

The thief let out a yelp and put down the pokéball with Dratini in, rolling it towards Kyosan. The young trainer picked it up and started walking towards the thief, who was trembling, mainly from the arcanine, but also from a pretty strong looking guy walking towards him.

"People like you disgust me," Kyosan glared into the stout, shaking man. "What do you see in stealing? An easy way out? I bet this pokéball belongs to a trainer who has spent large amounts of time raising and nurturing this pokémon! I also bet that this pokémon would love to get some revenge for you trying to steal it!"

Daeg added, "and the trainer of that carefully trained and carefully nurtured pokémon would also love to beat the living crud out of the thief!"

Professor Okido arrived on the scene, with Officer Junsa at his side.

"Arrest that person!" Professor Okido pointed at the thief.

The guy in the black cap was detained and immediately 'escorted' out of the pokémon gathering.

"Arcanine, return," Kyosan said. He placed the pokéball containing Arcanine back on his belt and walked to Daeg, motioning to the pokéball containing Dratini. "My name is Kyosan. I believe this belongs to you."


"Fuchsia City... " Jon said sullenly, staring at the ground. He found himself thinking back to his childhood, something he usually tried not to do...

It was night, and 10-year-old Jon lay in bed in the small bunk on the second floor of the orphanage. He was waiting until he knew the coast was clear. Then, he sneaked over to the window and quietly slid it open. Using his blanket, tied to his bedpost, he lowered himself a little, then jumped into some bushes.

Then he whispered "Falcon, you here?"

Over here Jon.

"I wish they allowed pokémon in the orphanage, then I wouldn't have to sneak out every night," Jon commented. "I hope I don't get caught. I think you know that if I get caught I get a good beating from McGorion."

Jon and Falcon tried to sneak away from the orphanage when he heard the booming voice of McGorion, its owner. "Where do you think you are going?!"

Jon turned and saw McGorion standing at the front door of the orphanage, with Thane behind him.

"It's a good thing Thane here came and told me when he saw you sneak out," McGorion continued, and Jon could see the evil grin on Thane's face, as they both knew what was coming next. " Come to my office, Jon. I think you know what is coming now... "

... Now twelve years of age, Thane and Jon's rivalry had turned to all-out hatred. Now not only Jon, but Thane sneaked out at nights as well. Since Thane had gotten the gengar Shadow, both of them usually sneaked out and battled. Even though they usually got caught and punished, they still continually did so.

It was 3:00 in the day and Jon and Thane had sneaked away from the orphanage to battle pokémon. This time, they had decided to fight it out in The Safari Zone. The battle went on as battles usually go, and Thane won the match. Then, both of them heard McGorion's voice, they knew they were both up for punishment...

"Jon... Jon... ?" Questioned Fox. Jon was sort of out of it. "Hey, Jon!"

"Huh?... wha?... what?" Jon snapped back into reality.

"You were staring into space," she said, then added with seemingly genuine concern, "Are you okay?"

"Fine... I'm just fine... " Jon replied, trailing off at the end. Then, he thought to himself, Fuchsia city... maybe it's time to confront McGorion... and... my past...


Smoke burst from the large smokestacks nested above the SS Anne. The crowds gathered by the hundreds near the dock, almost knocking Daeg and his friends off the pier.

"Watch where you're shoving," Andy growled. A person moved closer and accidentally bumped Julie.

"Eeeek!" Julie was nearly pushed off the dock, into the water below. Julie grabbed on to Andy's sleeve, maintaining balance. Daeg and Kyosan both turned around, glanced at each other, smiled, then faced the large mass of people. Kyosan and Daeg both started walking into the crowd, arms stretched out. The duo didn't stop moving forward, and the crowd stepped back, giving Andy, Julie, Daeg, and Kyosan some breathing space.

"I'm surprised that worked," commented Daeg, returning attention to the great ship.

"Me too," said Kyosan.

The ship continued edging closer to the piers, with personnel and sailors running about.

The scene inside the ship was hectic. Children running around, playing tag, staff members here and there, and almost all the passengers on the observation deck. It was crowded, except for one corner on the observation deck. Only three figures stood in this spacious corner.

Fox gazed at the large crowds of people, seeing all the people wave frantically, occasionally hitting the people in front of them. From the corner of her eye she saw splashes of water by the pier. People were being knocked off because of the lack of space!

"Hey Jon," Fox said. "Check out the crowds waiting for us!"

"What a lack of space," Jon said, rubbing his jawbone. "Hey - check out those guys over there - the crowd's staying away from that particular group of people. Wonder why?"

"Must be the same reason why the crowd's stayin' away from us," Fox replied, pointing to Falcon.

"Oh yeah. Keep up the good work, Falcon," Jon joked. Falcon merely glanced at Jon.

"Ow! Falcon! Please stop! Ow ow ow ow! That smarts! Ahhh!" Jon said, holding his head, falling to the ground. Fox started laughing and their space grew another five feet.

Find us, Falcon. It is of the utmost importance. We need your help.

Falcon immediately stopped the 'mind games' he was playing on Jon and rushed to the side of the deck, searching telepathically for where that voice had come from.

"What's wrong?" Asked Fox. "Something bothering you?"

Falcon ignored her and continued searching for that voice.

Find us... Falcon... there's not much time...

This time Falcon pinpointed where these messages were coming from - that group of people near the dock that the crowd stayed away from! Falcon tried to find out who or what had the powers of telepathy... an abra!

"Hey, are you okay?" Jon asked, rubbing his forehead.

We must find those people that the crowds stayed away from on the pier, Falcon announced to Fox and Jon, telepathically. I believe an abra is beckoning me for some purpose.

Please hurry - the great Mewthree has sent me.

Falcon was startled by this comment. He was struck with awe that the great Mewthree had asked for his help.

"Hey Falcon! Why are we supposed to find these guys? Will they give us something?" Jon questioned.

I will tell you later. Now's not the time. We must hurry! Falcon answered telepathically. And with that, Falcon dashed towards the exit with Fox and Jon close behind.


"Let's go see who came to the gathering! Wonder if anyone famous came via the great SS Anne," Julie exclaimed, jogging off towards the walkway.

"Wait!" Shouted Daeg, Kyosan, and Jon simultaneously, running to catch up. The group got the exit walkway before anyone else did.

"Wow! Look! Isn't that a Mewtwo!? I've only heard rumors of those things!" Kyosan exclaimed.

"Same here. I wonder if it's wild," said Daeg.

All of a sudden, the pokéball containing Abra burst open and the pokémon levitated over Kyosan, Daeg, Andy, and Julie.

"You're a psychic!?" Kyosan incredulously questioned Daeg.

"No! Of course not. You can say that I am here on a 'magical quest'."

Falcon, you and your friends must help these four reach the great PokéGods, by order of the great Mewthree.

Jon and Fox trampled down the walkway, catching their breath. Fox glanced up and saw the floating Abra above the four people that stuck out like a sore thumb in the crowd.

"Falcon, are these the people we're looking for? Or is that floating abra and those four guys are the welcoming committee? Look, will somebody tell me what's goin' on around here?!" Fox demanded. "Who are you guys? What's with the hovering? Falcon, what's - "

We have been summoned, Fox, Falcon replied sternly. The great Mewthree has asked for our help in aiding these people.

"The great who? Look, I don't know who's playing mindgames with you this time, psycho-kitty, but when somebody I've never heard of asks me to help a bunch of people I've never met, I don't just follow along blindly!"

"Have it your way," Jon shrugged. "But take it from me, Falcon's usually right about these things."

"Yeah," Daeg stepped forward from the group. "Our quest may sound weird, but it's for real!"

"Nobody asked you," she glared at Jon. Then, she gestured toward Daeg, Kyosan, Andy and Julie. "How do we even know that these are people we can trust?"

"Now just a second!" Daeg protested. "Nobody calls me a liar!"

Fox's hand instantly fell to a pokéball. "And nobody tells me what to do!"

"That's it!" Daeg growled. "I challenge you to a pokémon battle!"

Fox... Falcon tried, noticing Officer Junsa at the end of the dock, eyeing the conflict with some suspicion. This really is not the time for this...

"Stay out of it!" Fox snapped, then turned back to Daeg. "I accept!"

"Right! Horsea, go!"

"I call Shinji!"

"Shinji?" Andy raised an eyebrow to Julie. "What kind of pokémon is a 'shinji'?"

Julie shrugged.

The rattata and the horsea sprang from their pokéballs with loud battle cries.

"Shinji, tackle attack!" Fox cried. Shinji darted at the horsea, claiming first strike. Horsea retaliated with a blast of water that threw the rattata across the room.

"That's it, Horsea!" Daeg cheered. "Water gun again!"

"Shinji, dodge it, then body slam!"

Nimbly, the rattata ducked under the following spray of water and attempted to take down his opponent. But Horsea, anticipating the attack, redirected the spray and bowled the rattata over a second time.

"Shinji! Don't give up!"

Dazed, Shinji rolled to his feet, charging with all his remaining strength at Horsea. The rattata slammed into his opponent, throwing it backwards.

"Sea-seeea!" Horsea cried as it hit the deck. Fox and Shinji grinned.

"That's it!" Daeg whipped out Dratini's ball. "No more Mr. Nice Guy! Dratini, show 'em how it's done!"

"Stay up, Shinji!" Fox encouraged. "You can do it!"

"Ratta," Shinji nodded, them turned to his new opponent. Dratini popped out of his pokéball, and Shinji's jaw dropped as the dragon pokémon's golden aura shone brightly.

Taking advantage of the enemy's surprise, Daeg called out to his dratini for hydro-pump, but the pokémon was way ahead of him. The rattata still hadn't gotten over his shock before the spray hit him, sending him flying.

"Shinji!" Fox cried. "Return! Toaster, I ch - oh... Toaster's a fire pokémon... he'll never beat a dratini! A-and so is Angel!"

"Scared to send out another pokémon?" Daeg sneered.

"I just care about mine too much to let them get hurt!" Fox retorted, then bit her lip. "For the sake of my friends, I concede."

"Good!" Daeg grinned. Then, he glanced around. "Uh... say... where are the others?"

Fox turned to look down the wharf. The figures of Jon, Falcon, Andy, Kyosan and Julie could be seen nearing the end of it, walking toward one of the many food stalls surrounding the carnival ground.

"Hey, wait up!" The two trainers cried, running after them.


Daeg and Fox ran after the others. Abra and Falcon were having a discussion while the others browsed about the bazaar. Daeg and Fox slowed as they caught up and cooled off a bit.

"I'm sorry," Daeg said. "It's been a really bad day... and I'll give you a rematch later if you want... I'll even use my charmander."

Fox looked at Daeg. "You're on... later."

Kyosan wandered over. "Have we got that settled?"

Daeg smiled "Sure, let's get introductions out of the way... "

Daeg went over to the rest of the group and introduced himself to them. After introductions they wandered the bazaar, until they saw Masaki talking to a group of pokémon trainers. As the group passed by they overheard Masaki talking.

"I really need some help! Team Rocket has sent a large number of porygon and they have taken over my PC!"

The trainers stopped wandering. Masaki explained that no one could get their pokémon out of storage and that he was looking for help to battle Team Rocket's porygon because his own pokémon were all on his computer.

Jon stepped forward. "We'll help you battle the porygon."

"Yes," Julie added. "Anything for you, Masaki - you're a Pokémon legend!"

So the group was agreed to help Masaki deal with the porygon menace. Masaki took them to the VIP Suite where he was staying.

"This is my PC," Masaki said, showing them. "The porygon are trapped inside. You will be able to use my machine here to send your pokémon into the computer and battle. In the meantime, stay as my honored guests."


The whole group was inside Masaki's VIP suite, about to help him get rid of the porygon. Jon thought to himself, well, Its time for me to face him... to face my past.

"Um... I've gotta go for a while... I've got something I have to take care of." Jon turned and left the building. Fox was curious, and she didn't trust him, she followed him and stayed out of sight.

Jon made his way toward the orphanage in which he grew up. He walked up slowly and opened the door. As soon as he opened it he saw McGorion sitting down. All of the orphans were in bed and asleep.

McGorion looked up and saw Jon standing in the doorway. He looked mad, and Jon could tell that he was. "Jon, coming home late again. You know that deserves punishment."

That was when McGorion noticed the pokéball on Jon's belt. "... And bringing pokémon in here, too... you need to be punished." McGorion got up and cracked his knuckles.

"You...you bastard," Jon growled. "It's a good thing I left when I did. When I was living here, I was afraid of making friends and of other people. The only friends I had were the other orphans... your constant beatings made me that way. If I hadn't left those five years ago, I would probably still be afraid of people, afraid of getting hurt, physically and mentally."

"If you hadn't broken the rules you wouldn't have gotten punished," McGorion responded.

Jon gritted his teeth. "I-If only you had let Falcon stay, I wouldn't have broken the rules! The only reason I broke them was because I was not going to let Falcon die outside! I only did it because he was my friend!"

McGorion sneered. "I set the rules you follow them, that's the way it is. I don't like pokémon. I got a large scar from a pokémon and have hated them ever since."

"Just because you don't like them does not mean other people don't!" Jon shot back. "And that was just one pokémon of millions! Just because of one you hate them all!"

McGorion sneered again. "Enough of this talk. You broke the rules and now I have to punish you."

Jon said "Not this time old man. Five years of wandering taught me a few things... including how to defend myself."

McGorion tried to punch Jon, but the trainer knocked the punch aside. McGorion tried it again, and Jon blocked it again. McGorion tried again four more times, all with the same results. McGorion went for one last punch, this time Jon moved out of the way, and then kneed McGorion in the stomach.

McGorion went down.

"That was for all the pain you gave me during my childhood!" Jon picked McGorion up by the shirt, then punched him in the stomach. "That was for all the other children you caused pain to!" Then Jon punched McGorion in the face, knocking him out cold. "And that was for all of the pokémon you discriminated against."

Jon dropped McGorion. Fox had been looking through a window and had been watching and listening the whole time. Jon walked out of the orphanage and went straight to the city hall, where he put in a request to get someone new to run the orphanage. He didn't want any other kids have to go through what he did.

Then he said out loud, "Now... I guess I had better find the others."

He walked off in search of the group, Fox sneaking behind him.


As everyone was preparing to battle the porygon, a loud ping sound came from Masaki's computer.

"What's this?" Masaki asked, as a little blip popped up on the computer's screen. "Hmmm... looks like the location of the Team Rocket computer that must be where the porygon are coming from... " Masaki quickly printed up a map to the nearby location of Team Rocket. "Go now, and please save my poor computer!" Masaki said, waving a fond farewell.

They traveled to a small building just outside of town. Daeg walked up and kicked the door in - four men clad in black shirts with a big letter 'R' emblazoned across them. The Rockets grabbed their pokéballs and sent out a wigglytuff, a magmar, an alakazam and a jynx. The Rockets snickered at the trainers as their pokémon sat poised, ready for action.

"Ha!" The female Rocket trainer cut in. "What do you have? You can't beat my wigglytuff! It'll sing your meek pokémon to sleep - for eternity! Ha ha ha!"

The other Rockets in the room started laughing fiendishly, as Daeg, Julie, and especially Kyosan's blood began to boil. Kyosan's hand dropped to his belt, provoking his pokéball with Arcanine in it. Julie clenched her fists with rage. Daeg was studying the Rockets' pokémon.

Hmm, Daeg thought to himself. If they have an alakazam, and can actually control it, then we're in big trouble... plus that Jynx looks really mean and -

At that moment, Falcon walked through the door and into the lobby of the secret base.

The Rockets gaped.

"A-a-a-a-a-a...a mewt-me-mewtwo... ?!" One of the four Rockets sputtered.

"That's definitely worth catching!" Another Rocket spoke "It's worth millions! We'll be rich!"

The alakazam suddenly stepped forward from all the other pokémon, facing Falcon. Only Falcon, the alakazam, and Kyosan understood what was happening.

The alakazam's actually challenging Falcon! Kyosan thought. A once-in-a-lifetime psychic showdown!

The two pokémon stepped closer to each other, and the other trainers and pokémon stepped farther from the two psychics. Suddenly, the two started to manipulate a visible aura from themselves, slowly lifting and levitating towards the ceiling. Beads of sweat rolled down Alakazam's face, and Falcon started to breathe harder. Everyone in the room, except for Kyosan, looked upwards for a spectacular fight.

"This isn't a spectator's sport," muttered Kyosan, fumbling with his pokéballs on his belt. He threw a pokéball towards the ground, shouting, "Arcanine! Go!"

"Arcanine," Arcanine barked.

"Ha - you think that's a fire pokémon? That's nothing compared to Magmar!" The Rocket motioned Magmar to Arcanine. "Magmar! Attack!"

The Magmar started to waddle towards Arcanine, shouting, "Magmar!"

"Alright, Weedle! Go!" Daeg threw a pokéball to the ground. Weedle popped out.

"We-e-e-e-edle!" The weedle glanced at the wigglytuff.

"Your turn, Charmander! Show that Jynx that evil never wins!" Julie exclaimed.

"Char! Char! Charmander!" Charmander yelled.

"Interesting." A figure in the shadow boomed. "A mewtwo and an alakazam over three battles being played simultaneously." The man was stroking a persian, which purred, smiling. The man was watching the battles through a security camera.

"I want that Mewtwo... ." He boomed again.

"Wigglytuff! Sing the enemies to sleep!" The female Rocket said.

"Toxic that wigglytuff, Weedle!" Daeg replied.

The Weedle shot a nasty green gel towards the wigglytuff. The gel blasted the wigglytuff, halting its singing. The wigglytuff started to make faces indicating that it wasn't liking the toxic attack.

"Jynx!" The Rocket said. "Use that Ice beam I taught you to create an antipode attack with Magmar!"

Jynx and Magmar started to spin, as if following a racetrack. The Jynx shot its ice beam and the magmar spat out its flamethrower, moving in the same direction. The fire and ice swirled into a little tornado, engulfing Charmander and Arcanine.

"Charmander! Arcanine! Counter it with a combined fire spin attack now!" Kyosan said. Arcanine and Charmander both took a deep breath, and exhaled fire. The two pokémon made their separate fire spins going clockwise. Then the two whirlwinds of flames combined into one and countered the antipode attack, and the giant fire spin engulfed the jynx and magmar.

"Wha - no way!" One of the Rockets shrieked. "My magmar's the strongest! Much stronger than your arcanine! And that's just a charmander!"

The giant fire spin died down, only leaving two tremendously scorched pokémon.

"It worked!" Julie exclaimed, jumping into the air. "I don't believe it!"

"I suggest that you two bring those pokémon to the nearest Pokémon Center," Kyosan said, "if you want them to live. But I suppose that you'll just ditch them."

"Alakaza-a-a-a-a-am!" Shrieked the alakazam, as it dropped from the sky like a rock. It hit the ground, bounced a few times, and lay unmoving.

"What a joke," Falcon said. "That alakazam was a fine example of how well you Rocket fools train your pokémon." The mewtwo slowly dropped to the ground, arms crossed.

The Rocket that owned the alakazam glanced at his pokémon, then at Falcon. The wigglytuff that was battling the weedle fell to the ground, unconscious.

"Weedle! Return," Daeg said. "Sorry Dratini, but that wigglytuff would've been no challenge to you."

"Julie!" Kyosan said. "Go get officer Junsa! Things could get pretty ugly here, so hurry!"

Julie nodded, and ran out the door to the base.

The Rockets slowly started to make their way to the elevator behind them, while the attention was turned towards Julie.

"Arcanine!"

"Char!"

"Dratini!"

"Move anymore and you are dead," Falcon said sternly.

The elevator behind the Rockets opened, revealing around six porygon.

"Heh heh heh!" Snickered one of the Rockets. "Now you guys are dead!"

"Pory-pory-porygon!" The porygon said in unison.

"Alright Dratini. You can go ahead and battle a few porygon," Daeg said to Dratini. "Just be careful."

The Dratini lunged off Daeg and next to Arcanine and Charmander. Falcon teleported next to Charmander.

Two of us are going to battle two of those porygon, Falcon said telepathically between his pokémon friends. I'll be one of two.

The porygon's eyes started to glow. They were analyzing the four for weaknesses.

"Attack!" Shouted the Rocket trainers.

"Charmander! Flamethrower! Arcanine! Use your fire blast!" Kyosan shouted.

Charmander let out a constant flow of raging fire, toasting one of the porygon. Arcanine closed his eyes and mouth, bowed his head down, waited for a few seconds, and jerked his head up, and opened his mouth to let out a very large burst of fire, catching the previously burnt porygon and another one. Falcon teleported behind one porygon, than gave it a swift kick, causing it to fly away.

"It cannot be this easy," Falcon said. "All right - you next."

The mewtwo teleported behind another porygon, only to find that the porygon had teleported away and reappeared in front of Dratini. Another porygon teleported behind Dratini, and another to the side of it. The porygon behind Dratini opened its mouth and flamethrowed the Dratini!

"It can copy moves and store them into its memory bank!" The female Rocket said. "In other words, you guys are dead!"

The porygon used moves that they knew, like tri-attack, and wailed on Dratini.

"Dratini!" Daeg cried out. "No! Stop it!"

All of a sudden, the Dratini started to turn a gold color. It coiled into a spring, leapt into the air, and out of the crowd.

"Dra-a-a-a-a-ti-i-i-ni!" The Dratini let out a massive hyper beam, completely disintegrating the three porygon. The hyper beam didn't stop there - it went through a wall. The Rockets gasped. Daeg didn't believe what he just saw.

Just then, officer Junsa rushed in with five police officers and Julie in behind.

"Arrest those Rockets!" Officer Junsa yelled. The officers detained the four Rocket trainers with handcuffs. Then they were 'escorted' to the police vehicles outside. Pokémon veterinarians rushed in, taking the injured pokémon to the Pokémon Center. Julie glanced through all the commotion, and saw Arcanine with her charmander.

"Charmander!" Julie said, rushing towards her favorite pokémon.

"Char!" Replied Charmander, running to Julie, arms outstretched. The two hugged each other, happily.

Officer Junsa searched for Kyosan, and found him talking to Daeg.

"I know that dragons are powerful - but that powerful?!" Kyosan said. "If only Lance knew about - "

Kyosan was interrupted by Officer Junsa. "Are you Kyosan?"

"Uh... yes I am, Officer Junsa," Kyosan replied. "How do you know?"

"My sister told me. Your hint helped shut down the Team Rocket base under the corrupted Game Corner in Celadon City. I thank you for that."

"Well... uh... there's another Rocket base - here in the city." Kyosan motioned towards the ground. "Right under our feet."

"How do you know?" Officer Junsa questioned.

"The SS Anne, one of the greatest cruise ships, is docking here for one of the biggest Pokémon events ever. Obviously, the Rockets saw this opportunity to steal. So they set up a base here."

"Hmmm... I believe you. I would send dozens and dozens of special task members, except that there are very few authorities in this region! It'll take at least an hour to get some here."

"But the Rockets will for sure be gone by then! We have to stop them as soon as possible!" Kyosan replied. "I'll go down there myself to slow them down!"

"I admire your determination, but you alone? All of Team Rocket will mop the floor with you! No offense, but there are just too many to fight!" Officer Junsa said.

"Then I'll go with him," Replied Daeg.

"Me too!" Julie said.

"You don't expect to win without me, eh?" Falcon grinned.


Jon walked down the streets of Fuchsia City. It was not very crowded that day, but it was crowded enough. Fox was following behind, making sure not to get spotted by her companion.

As Jon went past a shop and looked in the window, he noticed Fox's in the reflection in the glass. Hmm... following me. I won't let on... yet...

Jon continued down the street. The wind was beginning to blow a little. He walked by a theater and saw that the movie Mewtwo Strikes Back was playing. "Wow, this is Falcon's favorite movie, and I still haven't seen it yet. I'll have to check it out sometime."

Then, he remembered that Fox was following him. Quickly, he ducked into an alley beside the theater and hid behind some trashcans, waiting for Fox to follow. The female trainer, Shinji on her shoulder as usual, turned the corner into the street the theater was on, then realized Jon had disappeared.

"Hey... where'd he go?"

Just then, a dagger flew from behind some trashcans and stuck into the wall right in front of Fox's face. Shinji looked faint. "Aack! Where the - uh-oh... "

Jon stood up from behind the trashcans to show himself. He crossed the alleyway and pulled his dagger out of the wall, then laughed and said, "Next time try not to get caught."

"What are you talking about?" Fox asked, all innocence. "I came for the movie."

Jon lifted the back of his jacket and put the dagger in its sheath. "If you came for the movie, why did you come into the alley?"

"Um... uh... I... "

"No, excuse huh?"

"Oh, bite me!" Fox snapped, frustrated.

"Hey, don't get mad at me," Jon replied. "You're the one that got spotted."

"You just love pointing that out, don't you?"

"Yep... gotta have some fun, don't I?"

Fox glared at him.

"Anyway, why were you following me?"

"Why else? You just disappeared without telling anybody what you were doing. You would have done the same."

"Yeah... maybe... " Jon snickered. "Actually, I would have had Falcon monitor them... he usually doesn't get spotted."

Fox was trying very hard to keep her temper. "Yes... you've made that point... so who was that guy?"

"What guy?... Oh... him... someone I knew from a long time ago."

"That type of person, huh?" Fox replied, remembering certain figures from her own past. "Guess I know how that feels... "

"Yeah... " Jon said solemnly. "So... umm... now what?"

Fox sighed. Now that he'd roused memories of her rivalry with Vance, they weren't going away. "I guess we find the others again... "

Jon thought for a minute. "I guess... umm... hey... you wanna check out this movie?" He pointed at the poster in the theater window.

Fox glanced toward the theater. "Hmm... it's supposed to be good... "

"Falcon saw it... it's his favorite movie."

Fox raised an eyebrow, smiling slightly.

"Ooh," Jon commented. "A smile! Don't think I've seen one of those in a while."

The smile vanished, and Fox looked embarrassed. "Are we going to see the damn movie or not?!"

Jon nodded, and Shinji almost fell off Fox's shoulder in his indignation. Entering the cinema, Jon asked for two tickets.

"Damn, broke again." Fox was fishing around in her pocket for cash.

While she searched, Jon paid for the tickets and handed one to her, accompanied by a wad of bills. "This one's on me."

Fox's smile returned a little. "What, have you suddenly become compulsively nice or something?"

Jon blushed a little. "Um... no, um... I... uh... um... I... "

"You're blushing," Fox pointed out.

"No I'm not!" Jon exclaimed as she laughed, then added lamely, "Um... it's uh... hot... and um... I gave the money to you for... uh... food for your pokémon, so they don't starve."

"Heh... yeah, whatever. C'mon... the movie's starting."

They entered the theater together, Shinji still squealing his unheeded protests.


 

When the pair came out of the movie, Jon noticed his companion was decidedly silent for some reason. "Hey... you okay?"

"Whu?... " Fox seemed to snap out of it for a moment, but then lapsed back. "Yeah... just thinking... "

"'Bout what?"

"Nothing, really."

"C'mon, tell me!"

She sighed. "It's just... no, not now. Maybe... some other time."

"Um... 'kay... "

Just then, the large form of Falcon appeared in front of them. All of the others and I are going to a team Rocket Base, to hold them off until Officer Junsa can get some troops together to arrest them... we need you to help too. The mewtwo picked both of them up, then reappeared a second later in front of Kyosan, Daeg, and Julie, cradling Jon and Fox.

"Enjoy the ride?" Kyosan joked.

"Well, the flight was great, but the food and service was terrible!" Jon joked back.

"Quit the jokes you two," Daeg chided.

"Hey, look," Julie said, pointing to the corner of the wall. "It's a monitor!"

The entire group rushed to the screen, which was emitting static. Daeg noticed a small panel under the screen. He studied the buttons for a second, than started to open windows on the screen by the buttons. On one of the screens was a hallway. On another was a bunch of Rockets, scurrying about.

"Hmm... this looks like a security monitor," Daeg said. "Without reason, there's a camera in this room. Find it."

Everyone scattered. Jon found the camera first, on the wall above a lamp, and deftly dismantled it with his dagger.

"Got it," Jon said. "They won't know about us now."

"If they don't have anymore of these nifty security check points," Kyosan added.

"I think that they already know about us," Daeg cut in. "We could always resort to taking all the cameras offline. If there are anymore of these check points, the cams should all be linked."

"But how would we be doing this?" Fox asked.

Kyosan walked over to the panel, took a coin from his pocket, and started unscrewing all the screws. He then removed the panel revealing a mesh of wires. Jon peered over Kyosan, twirling his dagger around like a toy.

"Allow me to handle this... " He trailed off, smiling, dagger in hand. He studied the wires, moving them around, then pulled up his dagger and cut a few.

"Be careful - you don't want to sound an alarm," Fox cautioned, then added quietly, "... or zap yourself."

"Aww, to hell with this!" Jon cursed, cutting all the wires in one clean, neat slash. The windows on the monitor blipped out. Unfortunately, so did the lights in the room.

"Jon!" Yelled Julie, tripping over someone in the dark. "What did you do? I can't see!"

All of a sudden, red, dim lights were turned on.

"Hmmm... it's the emergency lights," Daeg said. "That means that they have generators, but it'll take a while for them to warm up."

"Then this is the time to go!" Kyosan replied. Then, his face fell. "... Except that since Jon killed the power, the elevators aren't going to be operational until the generators kick in... "

"Dammit!" Fox glared at Jon.

"Oops," Jon mumbled.

"Hey - look over there - a door," Julie said, pointing to a steel door under one of the red emergency lights. "It might be a stairwell."

The group ran toward the steel door. Fox twisted the doorknob, only finding out that it was locked. "It's locked. And this a steel door."

"No problem." Jon said. "Falcon? Mind giving us a hand?"

Stand back, everyone, Falcon said telepathically. The mewtwo's eyes started glowing, emitting a faint humming sound. All of a sudden, Falcon shout out a beam, blasting the once-immovable steel door into a pile of metal debris.

"That was a weak hyper beam," Falcon commented, physically for once. "If it was any more powerful, there would be no debris."

Julie ran into the room. Indeed, it was a stairwell. "It is a stairwell! Now, we have to be quiet when going down because - "

Falcon and Jon were already running down the stairs, as quietly as possible. Everyone else followed in the same manner.


Back at Masaki's hotel room, Andy walked in, drying his hair. He only saw Masaki, who was watching the news.

"Hey Masaki... where is everyone?" Andy asked.

"Why, they went to the place where the porygon were!" Masaki replied. "They're going to stop those horrible Rockets at their own place!"

"This just in," blared the television set. "Officer Junsa has arrested four members of the anarchistic Team Rocket, with the help from a few experienced pokémon trainers. Reports are in that there is a Team Rocket base in the city. And here's a press conference with Officer Junsa."

"Do not be alarmed, people," Officer Junsa's image ordered. "We are handling the situation. But since there might be Team Rocket members outside in the city, make sure you watch all your valuables, and that you keep an extra eye out for suspicious activity. And do not leave your pokémon unattended, for they will become an easy target for Team Rocket members. Our police guards are patrolling the streets, so have no fear!"

"Uh... Masaki? Tell me where that base is."


Daeg made his way down the steps, quietly and efficiently. Julie held onto the rails on the wall. Jon pulled out a pokéball and released Clancy.

"Clancy might come in handy," Jon said as he skipped steps, matched by a not-to-be-outdone Fox.

"Hey - does anyone know how much longer until the bottom?" Kyosan asked, sliding down on the banister.

Three more floors until you will reach me, Falcon said telepathically. I floated down to the bottom floor - and there is another door here.

When the group finally reached the bottom, a bit out of breath, but otherwise fine, Falcon could be seen waiting. The door that the mewtwo had mentioned had a small window. Daeg carefully glanced through the window, examining the surroundings, then lowered himself to keep out of sight from the window. "We are at one end of a hall. The elevator's right next to us, so we're in the right place. The hall turns, so I can't see ahead... I smell a trap."

The group thought about this for a moment when Kyosan spoke. "We have a few options. We could run straight through the hall, totally surprising any Rockets, but we'd have to think on our feet. Or, we could slowly make our way through, giving us the chance to think and plan ahead. If anyone has better ideas, let 'em out."

"I say that we cautiously make our way through," Daeg said.

"I agree," Jon added.

Kyosan, in deep thought, widened his eyes suddenly and said, "I got it! We could send my haunter through the hall! He can make himself materialize and vanish at his will! Haunter will scout ahead for us!" Kyosan pulled out the pokéball containing Haunter and released the pokémon. "All right Haunter, go scout out the hallway ahead of us. But stay out of sight if there are any cameras or people at the other end! Got it?"

The haunter nodded, and vanished. A few minutes later, he returned.

"Did you see anybody at the other end?"

Haunter shook his head.

"Did you see any cameras along the way?"

Haunter shook his head again.

"Nice work Haunter. Return!" Kyosan opened his pokéball, recapturing Haunter.

"All right, let's go!" Daeg said. Jon and Falcon led the way by dashing against the wall, quietly. Everyone else followed suit, including Clancy, padding his way through silently.


Andy arrived at the Rocket base and looked around. He grinned as he noticed the blank monitor, ruined control panel, and pile of debris - it was obvious that his companions had been this way. He walked to the doorway, and saw a stairwell.

"They must've gone down this way," Andy said, bounding down the steps. "Hang on, everyone! I'm coming!"


The hallway was dimly lit. The walls were all plain white, the tiles were plain white, and the ceiling was a tan-ish color.

"This is almost too easy - even for these Rockets," Kyosan said, jogging beside the wall.

"Prepare for trouble!"

"Make it double!" Boomed two voices from somewhere ahead.

"Uh oh," Jon said, stopping and glancing around to see where those voices where coming from.

"To protect the world form devastation... "

"To unite all peoples within our nation... "

"Oh crap," Kyosan commented.

"... To denounce the evils of truth and love... "

"... To extend our reach to the stars above... "

All of a sudden, one of the walls rose, revealing those two Rockets, Kojiro and Musashi, and of course, Nyasu, plus, ten other Rocket members behind them.

"Musashi!"

"Kojiro!"

"It was a trap!" Daeg yelled.

"Team Rocket - blast off at the speed of light!"

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"

Nyasu twirled in front of the two, adding, "Mee-ee-owth! That's right!"

"Hand us that mewtwo, and we'll think about letting you go!" Kojiro ordered. "You guys are tremendously outnumbered!"

"Or you can take it the hard way, and be smitten by Team Rocket's mighty power!" Musashi added.

Jon stepped forward, glancing at the Rocket members, who were all palming pokéballs. "This is going to be an unfair fight... " Jon said, trailing off, then finished with a smirk, "they should've brought a dozen more Rocket members!"

The rockets smiled and simultaneously summoned all their pokémon. The site of a mob of assorted pokémon - oddly enough - caused Daeg to smile. One of the rockets sneered back.

Daeg started to laugh "You Rockets crack me up! You send the weirdest pokémon to battle us - a goldeen, a golduck, a krabby, a magnemite, a bellsprout, a golbat, an exeggcute, a tentacool, a beedrill, a lickitung, a wheezing, and an arbok? What a joke!"

With audible clicks Dratini, Arcanine, and Charmander came out of their pokéballs. Meanwhile, Shinji leapt forward, fangs bared. The Rockets grinned, stifling laughter. Some of them failed to. Shinji squeaked angrily.

One of the Rockets spoke up. "A rattata? What kind of pokémon is that to use?!"

"Show 'em Shinji!" Fox grinned. With that, the little pokémon tackled the magnemite, sending it flying into the goldeen. The magnemite clumsily tried a thundershock, and succeeded in electrocuting the goldeen in the process.

"In these close quarters they can't dodge," Kyosan said. "Use fire attacks - they'll heat up the entire hall." Obediently, Dratini and Arcanine let out a simultaneous fire blast, and Charmander used a fire spin. The resulting burst of flame set Wheezing off, causing a massive explosion that blasted Musashi and Kojiro out of the building. A faint "looks like Team Rocket's fire-blasting off again... " could be heard in the distance.

All but one Rocket and his golduck were knocked out cold. The remaining golduck looked up then slumped to the ground. The Rocket looked at the remaining trainers.

"Golduck, return. You did good with that barrier... Only one chance - Snorlax, go!"

The huge form of a snorlax blocked the hall. A brief melody could be heard, followed by the sounds of running footsteps. The snorlax grumpily awoke and looked at the assembled pokémon before it. Then, the snorlax started to talk to the pokémon.

Falcon looked startled. "The snorlax is trying to convince them to turn on you humans... "

Suddenly, Andy rushed around the corner, shouting, "Venusaur go! Solar beam!"

The venusaur unleashed some of the stored up solar energy in a beam of heat that caused the snorlax to stop talking rather quickly. The solar beam left a large burn right in the middle of Snorlax's chest. Taking advantage of the weakness, Shinji leapt up, biting the tender burn. The snorlax howled in pain.

Daeg smiled. "Now does that burn? Dratini, hydro pump!"

A large burst of water struck the snorlax, causing it to fall backward, trapping one of the unconscious Rockets' legs. The snorlax began to slow down, and finally started sleeping, the burn mark quickly fading.

Just then a banging noise and several footsteps announced the arrival of the local authorities.

"Good job," said Officer Junsa. "If it weren't for you, who knows what they might have done?"


A flash of light on a rooftop suddenly revealed Fox, Daeg, Jon, Kyosan, Julie, and Falcon. Everyone but Falcon glanced around, a bit confused. Fox peered over the edge of the rooftop, looking down.

"We're still in Fuchsia City," exclaimed Fox. "Look - tons of police officers!" Fox made a gesture towards the ground. "Over there!"

Everyone ran to the edge. Indeed, there were officers and special task members swarming the building below.

"Dammit - Falcon! You forgot Andy!" Julie screamed. Indeed to her words, Andy was missing. "We gotta go back and help him!"

The Mewtwo nodded, and the group was teleported back deep underground into the cold, semi-dark basement. The group glanced around, seeing Andy being taken away by the officers.

"No! wait!" Julie cried, running toward Andy. Officer Junsa held up a hand, telling her to stop.

"I'm sorry Miss - but he's under arrest for pokémon theft! He'll be placed in the Fuchsia jail overnight," Officer Junsa replied. Andy turned his head around, only to see Julie wave and shout that she would visit him and set things straight.

Kyosan took this opportunity to slowly inch backwards from the group, than making a rush deeper into the Rocket base.

I will never forgive myself if I let the Rockets slip by me again. I'm sorry, my friends, Kyosan thought, running farther away. Falcon cocked his head up, hearing Kyosan's unspoken words. He turned his head sideways just to see the fleeting image of Kyosan running deeper into the darkness.

Falcon chased after Kyosan, toppling over a protesting Jon along the way. Ignoring his trainer's startled cry, the mewtwo sped up.

"Hey!" Jon yelled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Falcon! Where are you going? And where's Kyosan?!"

Receiving no answer, Jon proceeded to chase the mewtwo who was tailing Kyosan. Fox noticed Jon slipping off, and followed suit. So did Daeg, and Julie, who didn't want to be alone in a Rocket base.

Officer Junsa, already occupied by the unconscious Rockets, didn't even notice them slipping further into the base.

Kyosan continued running until he reached a big, steel door, with a keypad to the side of it.

"Crap," Kyosan cursed, under his breath, as his friends caught up. He looked back. "You guys don't have to come along."

"We want to!" Jon said, smiling. "We know that there are going to be more battles!"

"Yeah! Bring 'em on!" Fox yelled. The others nodded in agreement, including Falcon.

"One problem," Kyosan said, gesturing towards the keypad. "Do you guys know the code?"

"One-four-seven-eight-nine-five-three," replied a telepathic voice.

"Ahh yes - my abra," Daeg commented, as Kyosan pushed in the buttons. "Thanks, buddy."

The door slowly swung open after Kyosan entered the password, revealing the surprising contents of the room. There was a large antechamber, Team Rocket uniforms lining one side with a sign accompanying them that read 'Laundry'. Then there was a wooden door ahead of the group. Loud noises could be heard from the other side.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Kyosan grinned.

Moments later, five decidedly young-looking Rocket members opened the wooden door. A wave of foul smelling cigar smoke blasted Kyosan in the face, nauseating him, accompanied as it was by the stench of beer and drugs.

"Aww, sick," Kyosan muttered, pulling down the black beret that went with his Rocket uniform. "And they even brought their pokémon into this environment!"

In the corner, a meowth was drinking beer from a saucepan.

"They're all too drunk to notice us," Daeg said. "Why do you suppose that they haven't evacuated yet?"

"Because they think that their fellow Rockets took care of us... " Kyosan replied. "... But they guessed wrong. C'mon! There's another door at the far end."

The group walked through the Rockets unnoticed, even Falcon, and reached to the other end. Kyosan opened the door slightly and the hinges made an ominous squeaking sound. The room was dark.

"I've been expecting you... please come in... " boomed a sinister, familiar voice.

"Who are you?" Kyosan snarled, walking into the room. As soon as the others followed, the door suddenly slammed shut and some the dimmed lights kicked in, revealing a large, cleared room, an arena, and a big desk at the end of the ring. The chair was turned around, hiding the face of the one who sat there. Only a hand could be seen, stroking a purring persian on the head. The chair swiveled around.

"You children may have heard on me. I am Sakaki - ruler of Team Rocket." He stood up and faced the assembled trainers. "I saw you fight my porygon. Your pokémon are strong... and so are you." Sakaki hopped over the desk, with Persian to follow behind as he walked toward them. "I have a proposition for you - that you become my star team. You would be virtually invincible - especially with that mewtwo of yours. Your talents are far superior to those layabouts outside. As a team, you would be a formidable force to oppose."

"Never," Fox replied firmly. Everyone else nodded.

Sakaki frowned, then shrugged and smirked. "I guess, then, you'll have to die."

He walked to a nondescript gray box on the wall and opened it. A red lever, surrounded by yellow and black stripes, could be seen, just waiting to be pulled. Sakaki did just that, and the floor of the arena started to slide open. Everyone quickly hopped to the side, avoiding the chasm that was being created. The retracting arena emitted a low hum, then stopped sliding apart. A whining noise met their ears. Kyosan ran to the edge of the newly created depression, peering down into darkness.

"Something's coming up!" He yelled to his friends. "It's coming up fast!"

Kyosan stepped back, fingering the pokéball that contained Arcanine, then displayed a stunned expression. The unseen thing that was coming up fast was simply a platform - but a platform carrying an assembly of pokémon, all battle-ready and prepared to obey Sakaki. The platform rose and filled the chasm, making it an arena again, but now set with two nidoking and two nidoqueen.

And that wasn't it - to the side of the platform, there was a low wall of gold colored bricks with wires protruding. Sakaki moved to the bricks, fiddling with them before turning back to the young trainers, smiling deviously.

"This is your last chance," Sakai informed them. "Join me or die."

"I'd never join with you Rockets," Kyosan replied, deadpan. The others seconded this immediately, except Jon, whose eyes were wide open as he stared at the gold bricks.

"Uh, guys? Those bricks aren't just there for decorations! They're C-4's!"

"Explosives!?" Julie cried. "No way! It just can't be!"

Sakaki started snickering as his pokémon guard assumed battle positions. "Your levels of perception astound me, girl. Yes, I intend to blow this joint sky high - and you meddling children with it!" Sakaki started to laugh.

"Well what about you?" Kyosan questioned. "And your very rare nidoqueen and nidoking?" What will happen to your legions of loyal Rockets? Is this a kamikaze move Team Rocket's pulling?"

"Quiet, you," Sakaki snapped. "I, unfortunately for you lot, have my own means of escape. As for these pokémon, and all those legions of 'loyal' lackeys, I care little for them." Sakaki ran to his desk and hopped into his chair. "You have ten minutes to get out of this building. I suggest that you take care of those nidos, because they won't let you leave without a fight!"

Sakaki laughed maniacally again, and the chair started to lower itself through the floor.

"That coward ran!" Jon cried, feeling more than a little cheated.

"Forget that!" Fox replied. "We only have ten minutes to get out of this place before we go down with it!"

"Couldn't we defuse the bomb?" Daeg questioned.

"I don't think so," Kyosan replied. "Odds are Sakaki's got those C-4's booby trapped. Most likely if we remove one wire or cut it, it'll explode straight away." The nidoqueen interrupted with a shrill cry, their male counterparts starting to growl menacingly. Kyosan threw a discerning glance at the fierce pokémon, then made up his mind. "In any case, that lot won't let us leave without a fight. I'm going to hold the nidos back while everyone splits."

"Not alone, you're not," Jon said, stepping up next to Kyosan.

"But - what if this building explodes before you guys get out?!" Daeg asked.

"Yeah!" Julie put in. "Why should we leave you behind?!"

"No questions!" Jon suddenly yelled. "Just go, dammit!"

"Take my arcanine," Kyosan said, tossing the pokéball containing Arcanine towards Julie. "I'm fighting with my Haunter, so he'll be able to dematerialize the moment before that bomb goes off... "

"I am afraid I will not be able to teleport you anywhere... " Falcon reluctantly admitted, for once speaking physically, perhaps for the impact of it. "I have barely gotten any rest since we came aboard that cruise ship, the SS Anne."

"Then I, as your trainer and Master, order you to leave with them," Jon said. Falcon looked as if he would protest, but then admitted defeat with a doleful glance at Jon. A somber mood falling over the small party, Daeg and Julie stripped off their Team Rocket uniforms, their own clothes still being underneath.

"You too," Jon ordered Fox, who was standing resolutely beside him.

"I'm not leaving," she replied firmly. "I'm not gonna run away from this like some scared kid!"

"No, you're not," Jon agreed. "You're gonna make a strategic withdrawal. Now get the hell out of here!"

"No!" She yelled heatedly, tears appearing in the corners of her eyes, her voice having trouble remaining steady. If only she could have said it - that she wouldn't leave him...

"Falcon!" Jon shoved the protesting trainer backward, into the mewtwo's waiting arms. "Get her out of here!"

"Let me go!" Fox cried, struggling without effect against the strong pokémon as he dragged her away. Jon bit his lip as her angry cries echoed down the hall - he hated to do that, but it was for the best...

"Ready?" He asked of Kyosan.

"As I'll ever be," Kyosan said.

"Not alone, young man," came a voice above them. "And as for you... Jon... "

Startled, the two trainers looked up to see Thane, who was crouched neatly on a girder near the high ceiling, and had doubtlessly been watching them the entire time. Thane effortlessly hopped off the beam and landed delicately below.

"I intend to overrun and rule Team Rocket," Thane continued. "It is my foremost intention. Unfortunately, that Sakaki really screwed things over... "

"Thane - we still gotta score to settle!" Jon yelled angrily.

"Harumph. I'd waste you anytime, and gladly. But this time, time is of the essence. I plan to show these nidos who'll be their boss soon, with or without your help."

"You wanna call a truce, don't you?" Jon's voice carried a noticeable note of disbelief. "Okay, you got it. But as soon as we get out of here, we're gonna settle this! Go, Clancy!

"Haunter! Spook 'em!"

"Cerberus! Attack!"


Still gripping the furious Fox by the arm, the big mewtwo Falcon led the way through the mass of Rockets in the front room, knocking some over.

"Outta my way!" Daeg yelled, kicking one in the head.

"Look!" One obviously-drunk Rocket cried, barely managing to maintain his balance. "It's those - hic - those - hic - them guys who beat our buddies up!"

"There's a bomb in this building!" Julie cried as she ran. "Run, you idiots! Your boss ran off, too! He left you all to die!"

"Who cares if they know that?!" Fox snarled.

"They're just bluffing!" Another Rocket yelled, lobbing the nearest item - a discarded pokéball - towards Daeg.

"We don't have time for this!" Daeg yelled, easily ducking the badly-aimed shot. "We gotta get out of here!"

The four ran out the other door, back to the antechamber where they had found their disguises earlier, with the mob of Rockets in hot pursuit.


"Haunter! Thunder attack the nidoking and nidoqueen next to each other!" Kyosan ordered. The haunter started glowing a gold-ish color, and produced hundreds of thousands of volts of electricity, poised over the two Nidos. Haunter shot out the electricity, zapping the two Nidos, who fell to the ground, twitching.

"We can't let them just sit here to die... " Kyosan thought aloud. "Even if they're Rocket pokémon, it's the trainers who are wrong and have bad intentions... "

Thane rolled his eyes between commanding his arcanine. "Sheesh, what a goody-goody! If you're going to capture those, do it already, and stop with the speeches!"

Ignoring the obnoxious man, Kyosan reached for the extra pokéballs attached to his belt, heaving two of them at the twitching pokémon. The balls opened, and a familiar splash of red surrounded the nidos, capturing them. The pokéballs closed, and dropped to the ground, shaking. The buttons on the pokéballs glowed red, meaning that they were still trying to calm it down. After a moment's wait, however, the little lights blipped off. Kyosan smiled as he retrieved the pokéballs, Haunter trailing behind.

Still muttering his disgust at Kyosan, Thane turned back to his own battle. "Cerberus, burn that nidoqueen! Attack it with your flamethrower!"

Cerberus opened its mouth, spewing a constant line of fire, engulfing the nidoqueen. Kyosan tossed a pokéball at the burning pokémon, capturing it. The pokéball stopped shaking almost straight away, and Kyosan snapped it back into place on his belt. Thane spun to glare angrily at Kyosan, his red gaze clearly stating that he would've liked the pokémon for himself. His eyes narrowed even further as he silently realized that Kyosan had beaten him to the punch, had bettered him. When the truce was over, he would make Jon's friend pay dearly for that.

"Alright Clancy!" Oblivious to the danger Kyosan had just placed himself in, Jon pointed to the last standing nidoking. "Fury swipe that Nidoking!"

Clancy charged at his opponent with amazing speed, running past the nidoking, then circling it. The Nidoking tried to trace it, but only succeeded in making itself extremely dizzy. Clancy pulled up right behind it, brandshielding his sharp claws repeatedly its back, tearing through the armor-like skin. The nidoking fell to the ground, in obvious pain. Feeling just a little sorry for it, and promising to get it medical attention later, Jon hurled a pokéball at it. Red light surrounded the nidoking, sucking it in.

"Right - let's get outta here!" Kyosan yelled. He looked over his shoulder to see Clancy returning to his pokéball. Then he looked around for Thane, but he didn't see him.

"Where did Thane go?" He asked Jon.

"No time for that," Jon replied as he darted out the door. "Let him burn here - he deserves it."

"I'm sensing you guys have a history... " Kyosan muttered as he followed.


"Officer Junsa!" Julie yelled, approaching the busy officer. "Officer Ju-u-u-u-u-nsa! There's a bomb in the building! There's a bomb in the building! Run!"

Officer Junsa, too hard-pressed to take chances, had no choice but to believe Julie's words - despite how suspicious it seemed that the red-haired girl beside her was intent on hiding her face from the officer. Quickly, the policewoman ordered her men to evacuate. "All units! There has been a bomb threat on the building! Evacuate immediately! I repeat, evacuate immediately!"

She let go of the button, and static buzzed in, until she heard a scratchy and dry voice. "Roger that!"

Andy, though handcuffed, had apparently been accidentally forgotten in the rush to leave the building. He took this opportunity to find his friends. Trying to get to the other end of the dimly light hallway was like being a fish swimming against the flow of a raging river... except for the fact that fishes weren't pressured by the chance of being blown to kingdom come...

"Andy!" Shouted Julie, waving her arms to be seen over the waves of oncoming people. "Over here!"

Andy pushed his way through, until he reached Julie and her friends.

"Where're Kyosan and Jon?" Andy questioned, then, glancing around, caught sight of Fox still trying to escape Falcon's grasp. "What's with her?"

"Long story," Daeg replied quickly. "Not now. We gotta go - among other things, we got Rockets on our tails! C'mon - now would be a good time to 'go with the flow'!"

Firmly gripping each other's wrists, the companions allowed the tide of rushing people to catch them up, and were swept toward the stairwell.


"Ugh - this room again," Kyosan made a face as they entered the room that had, not long ago, been filled with drugees. "But everyone's left... where d'you think they went?"

"They probably left to chase Fox and everyone else," Jon said, running alongside Kyosan.

"Then we've got to hurry, because - " Kyosan was cut off by a loud humming noise. The once-dim room was now a very well-lit room.

"The power's back on," Jon observed, glancing around. In the light, the pair were confronted by the sight of some Rockets still hanging about, sleeping or unconscious, several lying in their own vomit.

"Ack," Kyosan sounded quite ill. "Should've let the power off."


Daeg was first to see the steel door to the stairwell through all the police officers, at once both excited and relieved. The group ran with the blue-uniformed tide toward the open door, both Andy and Fox trying to be as inconspicuous as they could. Andy glanced upward as they entered the stairwell.

"Ugh... way up there... " Andy said, trailing off, following Julie up the stairs. Suddenly, a loud humming sound came from the walls. The lights lining the wall suddenly became bright again, and everyone became more aware on how many more flights there were to go. A big sign declared that they were currently on the fourth basement level.

"Crap!" Daeg yelled out, bounding over steps. "We gotta get going! We've wasted enough time down here!"

Back down at the bottom, the heavy door slowly slammed shut. Dozens of Rockets reached the door just as it was closed. Desperate, one tried pulling it open, but failed. He looked over to his comrades.

"The power's back on, including the security systems. That means this door's locked tight. We gotta take the elevator outta here to catch those miserable kids."

The gang of Rockets ran to the elevator and pressed the button frantically. They all waited for a moment that seemed like an hour before the elevator doors slid open.

The elevator was actually rather large service shaft. It wasn't a concealed box like a personnel lift, but more a platform designed to fit and carry machinery. The Rockets piled in, and the doors slid shut behind them as they traveled upward.

Jon and Kyosan ran through the well-lit hallway. The only sounds were those of feet hitting floor repeatedly, and faint panting from the two tired trainers. They reached a large, closed steel door at the base of the stairwell. Kyosan immediately gripped the handle, straining to pull it open. Failure.

He backed away. "The security systems must have locked it - they'll be back online since the power returned. I think we're stuck down here."

Refusing defeat, Jon started looking around. His glance happened upon the elevator doors.

He smiled. "We're not finished yet! There's still a chance we can get out of this place!"

Kyosan's eyes lightened as he looked at Jon with some curiosity.

"We can take the elevator!" Jon explained, pushing the UP button on the wall. "If the security systems are working again, so are the elevators!"

Kyosan grinned and nodded - his companion was right. Looking expectantly at the doors, the pair waited. And waited. And waited. Soon, they both grew very impatient.

"Where's the damn elevator?!" Jon demanded of some unseen person, clenching and unclenching his fists. Kyosan took this opportunity to roll Haunter's pokéball along the ground. It opened, allowing the ghoul to pop out, ready for action. As there was no impending danger, Haunter looked at his trainer curiously.

"Haunter, I want you to dematerialize and float to the top," Kyosan ordered solemnly. "If I don't make it up, I want you to listen to Andy from now on."

The haunter nodded, for once seeming to understand the severity of his master's tone, and slowly dematerialized into a faint purple gas before vanishing completely.

Moments later, the elevator doors slid open. Jon and Kyosan ran in, straight to the service pad on the corner of the platform. Jon, skimming the buttons, suddenly grew wide-eyed. He pressed a button, encouraging the platform to slowly make its way up, then back to Kyosan with a worried expression.

"Kyosan... um... bad news... " Jon trailed off, staring down at his shuffling feet.

"What?" Kyosan demanded, concerned.

"This elevator shaft only goes to Basement 1!" Jon yelled. "We still gotta find a way outta here!"

"What?!" Kyosan's eyes bulged. "What the hell hind of an elevator is this?!"

The platform slowly came to a halt, and two doors slid open.

"Come on!" Jon grabbed Kyosan's wrist, dashing out into the corridor. "We only have a few minutes left!"


The Rockets ran from the building, looking left and right on the city streets. Police cars were parked just outside, with officers everywhere, handguns drawn and pointed at the Rockets.

"Do not move, or we will open fire!" One officer in a bulletproof vest shouted through a megaphone. The Rockets hesitated, and then some near the back of the group started running back into the building, to the stairwell, not the elevator. But before they could reach it, Officer Junsa flung open the stairwell door, dozens of blue-uniformed cops backing her.

"And where are you going?" Officer Junsa smiled, holding up a pair of handcuffs.


"There - another elevator!" Jon yelled, pointing to a pair of sliding doors with ELEVATOR printed clearly above. Jon pressed the button, and the doors automatically opened. They both ran in, checking the buttons. Sure enough, this elevator went all the way to the first floor. The doors closed, and the elevator sped toward the top...


Falcon, Julie, Andy Daeg and Fox rushed out into the sunlight after the police officers, to the loud cries of Officer Junsa clearing everyone out of the area. As they ran, a haunter materialized right next to Andy, traveling with him.

"Hey - aren't you Kyosan's haunter?" Andy cried, surprised. "What are you doing here?!"

Haunter didn't answer, but simply floated next to Andy, cruising through the air.

"If Kyosan's haunter is here, something must have happened to them!" Fox yelled, finally breaking free of Falcon's grip and starting back toward the building. "We have to go back!"

You cannot do anything for him, Fox! Falcon cried desperately as she ran, in mind-speech intended for her alone. Come back, Fox! Come back!


Kyosan was through the elevator doors before they were even half-open, Jon only inches behind him. Through the open door ahead, Jon could see the masses of people diving for cover, and one figure running back toward the building.

"Hey - that's Fox!" He yelled. "What's she doing?! Hey, F- "

Jon was interrupted mid-sentence by a horrendous boom far below them, the entire room beginning to shake. It seemed to happen in slow motion to the young trainer as he realised that they had arrived too late. A heartbeat later, fire exploded from the still-open elevator doors and up through the floor, shattering the windows and cracking the walls. With a tremendous groan, the building collapsed, dirt and debris flying out in waves to cover everything within a hundred-yard-radius.

"Jon!" Fox screamed, standing alone in the showering fragments as flames raged over the building.


What will happen to Jon and Kyosan? Are Vance, Sakaki and Armin going to give up so easily? Will we ever get a full ten active players on our team? Click here to go to part II, and find out!